THOMAS P. MURPHY was born May 23, 1897 in New Jersey to Thomas J. Murphy and Anna Murphy. His father was a member of the Camden Police Department, serving for over 30 years beginning in August of 1902.. 

The Murphy family in January of 1920 was living at 705 North 2nd Street in North Camden. The elder Murphy was a member of the Camden Police Department. Thomas P. Murphy, who had not joined the force yet, was working as a machinist. Besides Thomas P., there were four other children, sister Frances and brothers William, Steven, and John. Sadly, Stephen Murphy died on November 24, 1922 of pneumonia at the age of 18.

The 1930 Census shows the Thomas P. Murphy residing with his parents at 545 Vine Street in North Camden. Also at home was older brother William, an accountant at the Victor Talking Machine Company, and younger brother John, who also worked there, as a clerk. Thomas P. Murphy and his father were then working as policemen when the census was taken in April of 1930. The elder Murphy had by then been promoted to Sergeant. He retired on January 1, 1933.

In 1934 Thomas Murphy was promoted to acting detective. He was instrumental, in August of that year, in solving the Haddonfield murder of Curtis W. Dobbins, which resulted in the conviction and execution of William J. Stephan. He was officially promoted to detective on August 19, 1937. 

The 1947 Camden City Directory shows that Thomas Murphy had been promoted to Sergeant, and was still working in the Detective Bureau of the Camden Police Department. He was then living at 417 Cooper Street, where he resided there throughout the 1950s.

In December of 1949 Thomas Murphy was chosen to lead the newly formed Homicide Bureau, and was given Detective Sergeant William Marter, and Detectives Harry Tracy and Vincent Conley to work with, He was promoted to Captain on May 30, 1951. In 1955 he received his last promotion, to Inspector. He led Camden's detectives throughout the 1950s until his retirement in 1958.

Thomas Murphy passed away in August of 1969.

Camden Courier-Post - February 21, 1936


Charged with stealing seven diamond rings valued at $4000, two men were discharged by Police Judge Lewis Liberman yesterday when the complaining witness failed to appear in court.

John Burke, 42, of 736 Berkley Street, and John Bryan, 31, of 3009 Mt. Ephraim avenue, were arrested on complaint of Mrs. Anna Ricco, of 40 Terrace avenue, who accused them of taking her jewelry during a party on February 18.

Both men denied the charges and when Detective Thomas Murphy testified he notified Mrs. Ricco several times to appear at the hearing, they were dismissed..

Camden Courier-Post - August 4, 1936

Camden Courier-Post

August 5, 1936

Frank Crawford
Jasper Street

Camden Courier-Post

August 10, 1936

Camden Courier-Post - August 29, 1936
Admits Kidnapping-Robbery Hoax

Anthony Carrozza, 209, of 1021 Wolf Street, Philadelphia, is shown standing between Detectives Thomas Murphy, left, and August Fortune behind the $389.64 he planned to take from fellow employees by telling them he had been kidnapped and robbed after cashing their pay checks.

Pay Theft Tale Faked, Radio Worker Admits
Youth Who Cashed Checks for 12 Fellow Employees
And Said He Was Kidnapped, Helps Recover Money from Friend

Camden Courier-Post - August 31, 1936

Camden Courier-Post - October 5, 1936

Camden Courier-Post - October 27, 1936

Camden Courier-Post - October 28, 1936


Henry F. Wilson, about 65, of Unionville, Pa., dropped dead of a heart attack last night at the Lenox Hotel, 22 Market street. He was taken to Cooper Hospital and pronounced dead.  Detectives Thomas Murphy and Gus Fortune are attempting to locate relatives of the man.  

Camden Courier-Post - January 29, 1938

Samuel Ermelious - Angelo Naglas - Ross Pandeladis
Joseph Carpani - Thomas Murphy - Harry Kyler
David S. Rhone - Franklin P. Jackson III
Luigi Tortu - Thomas Timothy Sullivan
Cooper Street - Langham Avenue - Line Street - Penn Street 

Camden Courier-Post - January 24, 1938

Luigi Tortu - Pearl Willis - Evelyn Buffa - Harry Kyler - Thomas Murphy - Samuel P. Orlando
Frank Luggi - Nicholas Dandrea - Frederick Gasperone
Samuel Ermelious - Angelo Malagas - Ross Pandeladis
George Caras - Michael Dandrea - George Matros - Annie Matros
Sam Bosco - George Summers

Baird Avenue - Langham Avenue - Broadway - Penn Street 
Mickle Street  - Norris Street  - South 5th Street  - Line Street

Camden Courier-Post - January 29, 1938


January 30, 1938

Camden Courier-Post - February 2, 1938

Jury List Prepared for Coroner's Action in Holdup Fatality

The coroner's inquest to decide the cause of death to Angelos Magalas, Greek chef, who was shot during a card game holdup at 725 Penn Street on January 11, will be held today at 10 a. m.

Coroner Franklin P. Jackson III, of Collingswood, will conduct the inquest and will select his jury of 12 from a list of 15 persons prepared by the office of County Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando.

Detectives already have subpoenaed 20 witnesses for questioning at the inquest, including players who were the victims in the holdup and three Camden physicians who attended Magalas prior to his death.

The witnesses will include Samuel and Mabel Ermilios, tenants of the Penn Street house where the holdup occurred; George and Annette Mastros, who room at the house; Samuel Bosco, Broadway barber; George Summers, Ross Pantel, Michael D' Andrea. and William Caras, who according to police were participants in the card game.

All of the men were held as material witnesses in the shooting when arraigned today before Police Judge Gene R. Mariano.

Doctors to Testify

Other witnesses will include Dr. Paul Mecray, Dr. A. S. Ross and Dr. Edwin R. Ristine and Miss Sophia MacAfee, a Cooper Hospital nurse. Police who will testify in elude Detectives Thomas Murphy, Harry Kyler and William Boettcher and Patrolmen Richard Powers, Frank Clements, George Nicktern and Sergeant Jack Deith.

The jury will be selected from Guy Clokey, Collingswood; Lawrence Ball, Haddonfield; Howard Friant, Collingswood; Harry Chew, Collingswood; Sig Schoenagle, Camden merchant; Raymond Hanly, real estate broker; Benjamin Brest, Raymond Worrel, John Eby, all of Camden; William H. Lorigan, Merchantville; David B. Robinson, Collingswood; Rev. James Pemberton and John McGowan, of Camden, Earl Jackson, of Collingswood and Morris B. Clark, of Haddonfield.

Coroner Jackson refused to give a certificate of death until the chemical test of Magalas' brain was made by Philadelphia experts. The re suit will not be revealed until the inquest.

Assistant Prosecutor Isaac Eason and County Physician David S. Rhone gave it as their opinion that Malagas died of natural causes rather than, the bullet wound. Coroner Jackson then ordered an inquest to be held.

Police are searching for Frank Luggi, 21, of 322 Penn Street, who they say was one of the holdup bandits and the one who fired the bullet that struck Magalas.

The last coroner's inquest held in Camden county was in 1933, in the death of Thomas Timothy Sullivan, and previous to that none had been held here in 25 years.

Sullivan was 57 years old and lived at 401 State Street. He was employed as a detective by the Pennsylvania Railroad. He was found shot to death in a shack in the rail road yards on August 28, 1933.

At that time, County Physician Edward B. Rogers issued a certificate of death that Sullivan had committed suicide. The decision of the county physician enraged members of Sullivan's family and they demanded an inquest.

The inquest was ordered by then Coroner Arthur H. Holl, who presided. All the evidence in the case was presented to the jury of 12 men, and after deliberating for less than an hour, they returned a verdict that Sullivan had been murdered by persons unknown.

Under state law, the county physician may order an inquest; with 12 persons on the jury of the coroner's choosing. The jurymen may be taken from the present panel of the petit jury or be picked at ran dom. The Grand Jury does not have to indict on the basis of the inquest. At the inquest Coroner Jackson will be assisted by attaches of the prosecutor's office.

Malagas, the father of three children, lived at 1110 Langham Avenue. He was shot when several armed bandits held up a card game and he died several days later.

Camden Courier-Post - February 2, 1938

Jury Reports Magalas Fatality
Superinduced By Wound

A coroner's jury yesterday determined the death of Angelos Magalas, of 1110 Langham Avenue, was superinduced by a bullet wound received during the holdup of a card game.

It was the second time a coroner's jury had been drawn in 29 years in Camden County. Witnesses said Magalas, a chef in a midtown restaurant, was shot on January 10 during a holdup at the home of Samuel Ermelois, of 725 Penn Street, and died in Cooper Hospital on January 23.

Several unusual developments pro­vided excitement during the inquest.

One witness, arrested with others as players in the card game, was asked to explain why he ran outside during the holdup and held the door so that others were unable to get out.

An attorney who sought to thwart questioning by Patrick H. Harding, assistant prosecutor, on the claim that he represented Frank Luggi, holdup suspect in the case, was silenced with the contention that he could not represent Luggi as long as the latter remained a fugitive from justice.

The case went before a coroner's jury of six men, Rev. James Pemberton, Earl Jackson, Harry Chew, Howard Friant, Lawrence Ball and Guy Clokey, with Coroner Franklin P. Jackson III presiding.

Samuel Bosco, Camden barber, one of the principal witnesses in the fatal shooting of Angelos Magalas, chef, during the holdup of a card game on January 10, is shown above at the Inquest yesterday. Bosco testified he held the kitchen door after making his escape from the scene of the robbery at 725 Penn Street. Bosco (right) is shown with N. Thomas Smaldore, an attorney, who attended as a spectator.

Tells of Holding Door

Samuel Bosco, Broadway barber, testified that he was playing cards in the Penn Street house when the holdup man came in.

"When I turned around and faced the wall like the man ordered us to," Bosco said, "I was facing the shed door. I ran out, pushed the door shut and held it. Five or six times somebody tried to get out but I held the door. I tried to get out the back way but I couldn't."

Bosco was the only one of the witnesses who said he was unable to identify Frank Luggi, a fugitive, identified by the others as the hold up man from pictures shown them.

Bosco told of a man calling him from his barbershop a few days before the holdup and attempting to borrow $5.

"Ermelios was in my shop at the time." Bosco testified, "and said "'Watch out he don't hold you up!’"

Bosco was asked by Harding if he could identify the man who tried to borrow the money as Luggi and was shown a photograph of the man sought for the crime. Bosco said he could not.

Tried to Escape

"Why did you try to get out?"

Harding asked.

"I tried to escape," Bosco said. "There were six or seven others there. There was plenty of protection," said Harding.

"The door was in front of me, so I went out," Bosco maintained.

"Why did you hold the door?"

Harding asked.

"I didn't know who was trying to come out," Bosco declared.

"Did the holdup man ask for you when he came to the house?" asked Harding. Bosco said he didn't know. Asked if his car was parked in front of the house and if Luggi knew his car, Bosco said:

"I don't know."

At this point, Elmer Bertman, an attorney, demanded that all testimony concerning Luggi be stricken from the record.

"I represent Luggi," Bertman said. "This is an investigation into the cause of a man's death, not a fishing expedition of the prosecutor's office. 

Can't Produce Suspect

"You have no right to appear here," Harding said. "You cannot represent a fugitive from justice. No attorney has that right."

Bertman maintained that the guilt or innocence of no party could be injected into the hearing. Coroner Jackson asked Bertman to sit down.

"If I have no right here." Bert man said, "neither has the prosecutor's office."

Harding said he represented the state and demanded that Bertman produce Luggi if he represented him.

"I can't" said, Bertman. "I don't know where he is," Bertman said he was serving notice on the coroner and the prosecutor's office, however, that he, represented the fugitive.

Dr. David S. Rhone, county physician, said he did, not wish to give a statement when he felt that the gunshot wound, a broken arm, the serum and the brain lesion contributed to Magalas' death.

Harding instructed the jury as to its duty to inquire into the evidence presented in order to obtain all in formation available as to what caused the death of Magalas. There was some question as to whether Magalas died of natural causes or by violence, he said.

A Difficult Patient

Dr. Edward R. Ristine, of Cooper Hospital, said he examined Magalas January 11 and that he was a difficult patient. Magalas, the physician said, sought to strike doctors and nurses and scratch them whenever his condition needed attention. "He was far from normal, Dr. Ristine said.

"Serum was administered," the doctor went on. "Afterward, the condition and mental reactions of Magalas remained abnormal. We took him from Red to change his environment but when we put him in a chair on the sun porch, we had to tie him in the chair with a sheet. Then, in some manner, he slid down, breaking the arm which had been wounded.

"Death was due to a psychosis, a condition which may have been initiated by the wound, and then aggravated by the serum, the reaction to the breaking of the arm and shock."     

Under questioning, Dr. Ristine said emphatically that, the gunshot wound was not the cause of death. The autopsy, he said, showed the man's brain was swollen, and not normal. This condition, he said, he could not explain. 

Brain Being Examined

Dr. Rhone, county physician, said the autopsy showed the membrane adhering to the brain. He said that while he felt the pressure was not the immediate cause of death, he had ordered the brain sent away for thorough examination.

Richard Powers, a policeman, told of making the arrests of the card players. Detective Thomas Murphy told of finding the weapon used by the holdup man on a chair. Powers was first to mention Luggi, saying that photos of the man had been identified by witnesses.

Ermelios gave a graphic description of what occurred, "We were playing cards in the kitchen," he said, "There was a knock on the door and my wife, who went to answer it, did not appear at once. I went to see who was there. I got as far as the dining room when 1 saw a man with a gun behind a curtain.

"'This is a stickup!' he said. " 'Get into the kitchen. My mother is sick and I need money. No one will get hurt if they are nice. Throw all your money on the table.' "

One of the other players, William Caras, Ermelios said, threw his money on the floor. When the bandit attempted to pick up the money the players jumped on him, taking the weapon away from him. In the scuffle that followed the gun changed hands again and when Magalas fell to the floor the others turned to aid him and the holdup man fled.

Woman Testifies

Mrs. Mabel Ermelios, in whose home the holdup and shooting took place, told the jurors she answered the door when the two men appeared .

"I was lying down on the bed in the front room," she said, "and when the bell rang I told my husband I would answer it. I looked out of the window first but I couldn't see anyone. As I opened the door one of the men put his foot in the opening.

"He asked me 'Is Bosco here?' and when I told him I didn't know he told me not to stall. Then he came into the house and told me he was holding the place up. The second came followed him in. He must have been hiding in the shadows of the porch. I didn't see him when 1 opened the door,

"The first man had the gun. He told the other one to grab me and I noticed he had something which looked like metal on his knuckles. He pulled my arms in back of me and held me. In a few minutes I heard a shot. The man who was holding me let go of me and ran out.

Saw One Jump Into Car

"I followed him and saw him jump into a tan car across the street.' I went to a neighbor's home and called the police. When I returned they were carrying Magalas out."

"Was Bosco the first one to arrive at your house that night?" Harding asked.

"I don't recall. I know his car was parked outside."

Mike Dandrea, another of the hold up victims, testified that he tried to follow Bosco out the shed door but he pulled it closed so fast he was unable to get out of the kitchen.

"I tried several times to push the door open and escape but Bosco was holding it and I couldn't do it," Dandrea said.

Harding announced after the jury had rendered its verdict that the entire case with the jury's finding will be presented to the grand jury.

"Will a murder indictment be sought?" he was asked.

"I can't answer that Harding said, "All the, evidence will be presented and they can return indictments against anyone they see fit."

Camden Courier-Post - February 8, 1938


Joseph Spada, 24, of 312 Royden Street, was arrested on suspicion by Detective Thomas Murphy yester day when Murphy said he found 72 blank numbers racket books in Spada's automobile.

Murphy asked Public Safety Director Kobus for an opinion whether Spada could be held on this evidence for a lottery charge. If he cannot, Murphy said, the man will be released.

Camden Courier-Post * February 12, 1938

Ready to Testify in Case When Indicted for Murder With Luggi

Samuel Bosco, widely known Camden barber, sat in the anteroom of the Camden County Grand Jury room yesterday, expecting to be called as a witness in the slaying of Angelo Magalas, Camden chef.

Instead he was arrested on the charge of murder.

With Frank Luggi, fugitive police character, he was charged with slaying Magalas, wounded fatally as he sat in a Penn street card game, January 10.

Magalas, who lived at 1119 Langham avenue, died Jan. 23 in Cooper Hospital. A coroner's jury found death was superinduced by gunshot wounds inflicted during a scuffle between two bandits and players at the scene of the holdup.

Bosco, who also participated in the card game, was one of the principal witnesses at the inquest. And yesterday he readily answered the summons to appear before the jury. 

Indicted by Jury

He was in the ante-room— still waiting to testify— shortly after 4 p. m. when Mark Reeve, clerk of the jury, came out and whispered to City Detective Thomas Murphy.

Murphy walked over to Bosco. Ha placed a hand on his shoulder and said:

"You are under arrest."

"What for?" Bosco asked.

'The grand jury just indicted you on a charge of murder," Murphy replied.

Bosco appeared stunned. He started to speak again. His lips moved but no sound came as ha arose, put on his overcoat and accompanied Murphy to the city jail across the street from the old courthouse. He was booked at police headquarters on the murder charge, photographed, fingerprinted and hell without bail.

John L. Morrissey and Benjamin J. Dzick, counsel for the accused barber, announced last night a rule to show cause for a writ of habeas corpus will be sought this morning from Common Pleas Court Judge Clifford A. Baldwin, in an effort to win Bosco's release.

Evidence Held Lacking

"There was no evidence to warrant Bosco's arrest on a charge of murder," Morrissey said.

"If Judge Baldwin is available I will appear before the court and ask for a writ of habeas corpus. I intend to ask the court to dismiss the charge entirely. There was not sufficient evidence to warrant a charge of murder and certainly no evidence on which the arrest for murder was made."

Both Morrissey and Dzick visited Bosco in the city jail last night. They held a brief conference after which Morrissey reported the barber still was stunned over the turn of events but .otherwise was unworried.

Police said arraignment of Bosco would be delayed due to the Lincoln's Birthday holiday. He probably will be taken before Judge Gene R. Mariano Monday morning, they said. 

Barber Held Door

Bosco was one of the players in the game, but when the bandits entered, he ran into a shed and held the door in back of him. He told police he held the door to prevent the bandits from following him. None of the players could have, fled by the door, either, Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando pointed out.

At the time of the coroner's inquest, officials of the prosecutor's office questioned Bosco at great length concerning his act in holding the shed door closed.

"I didn't want the bandits to follow me. I didn't want to be robbed," Bosco answered his questioners.

Luggi has been sought for ques tioning in connection with the holdup; ever since it occurred.

Luggi has been identified by other participants of the card game, which was held at the home of Samuel Ermilios, 725 Penn street, as the gunman with whom Magalas was wrestling when the gun went off, the bullet severing an artery in Magalas' arm.

Camden Courier-Post * February 14, 1938

Barber Indicted in Murder Cuts Patrolman With Shattered Plate

Sam Bosco, Camden barber indicted and arrested on a murder charge last Friday, went temporarily berserk in the city jail late Saturday, police revealed yesterday.

In a fit of nerves and rage, according to the police, the heavy-set prisoner flung a platter of food in the face of the jailer, Policeman William Michalak, who had opened Bosco's cell to give him a hot meal he brought from a nearby restaurant.

Bosco then menaced the jailer with a jagged fragment of the platter that shattered on the cell floor. Michalak rang an alarm which attracted Police Lieut. Herbert Anderson, Detective Thomas Murphy, Motorcycle Policeman Marshall Thompson, Sgt. Gus Koerner and Policeman James McLaughlin from the adjacent police headquarters in City Hall.

Anderson and Murphy went into the cell tier at the end of which Bosco stood, still brandishing the piece of broken dish. After grabbing his arms, they led him back to his cell. He offered no resistance.

"I was excited," he told them later.

Camden Courier-Post * February 14, 1938

7 Arrested in Bingo Numbers Racket; 4 Seized in Betting Place

Ten men and a woman were arrested in gambling raids over the weekend by Camden city and county authorities.

Seven were arrested for operating a "bingo numbers" racket. A warrant also was issued for Frank Palese, 400 Spruce street, a member of a widely known South Camden family, as the "big shot" of the racket, according to Chief Lawrence T. Doran, of county detectives. Doran said last night Palese is still a fugitive.

In another raid by Camden police, three men and a woman were arrested in an alleged horse racing betting establishment at 1149 Lansdowne avenue. The place was on the second floor over a grocery store, according to Sergeant Gus Koerner, City Detective Thomas Murphy, Jr.
and Patrolman James McLaughlin, who made the raid. Koerner and Murphy also figured in the second raid.

Several racing forms and four telephones with two direct wires to tracks now in operation were seized, according to Koerner and Murphy, The police first arrested Roland Flynn, 36, of 589 Carman street; Neil Zeldman, 43, of 1064 Langham avenue, and James O'Donal, 27, of. 
1119 Empire avenue, and held them in $1000 bail for violating the State crimes act.

Woman Arrested

Later Mrs. Rose Koplin, 37, who lives in an apartment over the store, was taken into custody on the same charge and held in $500 bail. Mrs. Koplin's brother, Milton Katz, posted cash bail for her release.

Katarina Pologruto, 420 West street, posted bail for O'Donal, who also is known as O'Donnell, and Flynn. Frank Davalos, saloonkeeper, of 441 Benson street, furnished bail for Zeldman.

Murphy reported that $700 had been bet on race horses at the establishment up until 3.30 p. m., Saturday, the time of the raid.

Among those arrested in the "bingo numbers" racket was Fred Rossi, who fought in the prize ring under the name of "Pee Wee" Ross. He was arrested Saturday afternoon at his home at 438 Mickle street by Koerner and Murphy.

O'Donal, Flynn, Zeidman and Mrs. Koplin will be given hearings today in police court.
Others under arrest in the lottery game their names and addresses as Joseph Marino, 288 Chestnut street; Harry Girard, 446 Pine street; Peter Branco, 1109 South Third street; Donald Goodman, of Woodlynne; Irving Chapman, 43 South Merchant street, Merchantville, and John 
Holmes, 227 Main street, Merchantville. An eighth man, James Lodge, Brooklawn, was questioned and released as a material witness.

Rossi, Branco, Goodman and Holmes were released in $500 bail each for the Grand Jury by Justice of the Peace Samuel Rudolph. Prosecutor Orlando said he would demand bail of $1000 each for release of Girard and Marino.

Refused to Sell

Lodge told the detectives he was approached to sell the slips but that he refused to take them.

Doran stated that Marino insists he is the operator of the lottery, but the county detective chief declared that Marino was merely trying to "take the rap" for Palese.

City and county authorities have been aware of the existence of the new racket for about 10 days. Murphy and Koerner had been detailed specifically by Commissioner Mary W. Kobus to investigate and break up the ring. The two sleuths followed numerous suspects, watching 
where they went, and getting a list of stops and suspects.

The trap was sprung when Marino, Girard, Chapman and Holmes were arrested on South Centre street in Merchantville as they sat in a parked car. The car, according to Doran, bore license plates issued to Palese.

Merchantville police and Doran arrested the four and seized bingo numbers slips. Murphy and Koerner also arrested Branco, while County Detectives James Mulligan, Elmer Mathis, Wilfred Dube and Casmir Wojtkowiak arrested Goodman.

Doran admitted that the automobile in which the four men were found was the property of Palese. A search was made at the home of Palese, on Fourth street, near Spruce, but nothing indicating he was connected with the racket was found, Doran said. But Doran added he has information which leads him to believe Palese was the head of the new racket..

Camden Courier-Post * February 15, 1938

Bingo Big-Shot?

Frank Palese Surrenders In Racket Quiz
Lent Car to Others He Says; Denies Charges

Frank Palese, 26, of 900 South Fourth street, wanted as one of the alleged operators of the new "bingo" lottery racket, surrendered yesterday to County Detective Wilfred Dube.

Palese had been sought during the weekend as the "big shot" of the racket after Joseph Marino, Harry Girard and five others were seized in the case.

All but Marino and Girard were released in $500 bail before the surrender of Palese.

Prosecutor Orlando fixed bail at $1000 each for Palese, Marino and Girard. Carl Kisselman, retained as counsel for the defendants, said he would provide the amount for them.

According to Palese he simply lent his automobile to Marino and Girard, who were in Palese's car when arrested, and he knows nothing whatever about' the lottery charge.

Among those out on bail is Fred Rossi, former boxer, who used the ring name of Pee-Wee Ross


3 Men and Woman Nabbed

Police Judge Mariano overruled police objections and postponed until Wednesday morning the hearing of three men and a woman arrested as the result of a gambling raid at 1149 Lansdowne avenue Saturday.

The request for a delay was made by Benjamin Asbell, defense lawyer, who said he had been retained only late Saturday and had lacked an opportunity to prepare his case.

Sergeant Gus Koerner and Detective Thomas Murphy, Jr., asked that the case go on at once, saying they had enough evidence to hold the suspects for the grand jury. Murphy said Safety Director Kobus had asked that the hearing be held yesterday.

Judge Mariano, however, said that Asbell's request was not unusual and that attorneys should be allowed time to obtain their evidence or witnesses. He continued the same bail which police set when the four were arrested.

Lines to Tracks Seized

Koerner, Murphy and Patrolman James McLaughlin said that horse race betting was conducted on the second floor of the Lansdowne avenue building, the ground floor of which is occupied by a grocery.

Several racing forms and four telephones with two direct wires to tracks now in operation were seized, according to Koerner and Murphy. The police first arrested Roland Flynn, 36, of 589 Carman street; Neil Zeidman, 43, of 1064 Langham avenue, and James O'Donal, 27, of 1119 Empire avenue, and held them in $1000 bail for violating the State 
crimes act.

Later Mrs. Rose Koplin, 37, who lives in an apartment over the store, was taken into custody on the same charge and held in $500 bail. Mrs. Koplin's brother, Milton Katz, posted cash bail for her release.

Katarina Pologruto, 420 West street, posted bail for O'Donal, who also is known as O'Donnell, and Flynn. Frank Davalos, saloonkeeper, of 441 Benson street, furnished bail for Zeidman.

Murphy reported that $700 had been bet on race horses at the establishment up until 3.30 p. m., Saturday, the time of the raid.

Camden Courier-Post * February 16, 1938

Bosco at Murder Case Arraignment

Barber Held in Slaying Case Pending
Formal Indictment by Grand Jury

Sam Bosco, mid-city barber, was held for the county prosecutor's office on the charge of murder, following court action yesterday termed by Police Judge Gene R. Mariano as unprecedented in Camden legal annals.

Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando announced he tried to bring the grand jury together for action in a true bill against the prisoner. The members had scattered so widely, however, they could not meet, but the true bill is 
expected Friday, when the jury makes its presentment.

Bosco is cited in connection with the death of Angelo Magalas, restaurant chef who died as a result of a holdup of a card game at 725 Penn Street, January 10. Magalas was shot in the arm during the crime, and the wound reputedly hastened his death from another ailment from which he was suffering.

Arrested at Jury Room

The action against Bosco follows an odd legal path. The barber was waiting to be called by the grand jury as a witness into the 

Sam Bosco (left), central city barber, is shown as he was arraigned before Judge Mariano in police court yesterday. He was held on a charge of murder in the fatal shooting of Angelo Magalas during a holdup. City Prosecutor Mitchell Cohen is shown standing beside the prisoner, who was handcuffed because he allegedly threatened a guard Saturday night.

death of Magalas, for which Frank Luggi is now sought.

While Bosco was sitting in the anteroom awaiting his call before the grand jury, Detective Thomas Murphy placed him under arrest.

At the time it was believed a true bill had been found against the man, but it has developed the arrest was on a warrant obtained by Murphy.

When Bosco arraigned yesterday it was revealed the charge was murder, but he was held under the warrant which Murphy had obtained, and the grand jury had not found the true bill to date.

The court was puzzled as to the action that could be taken in the case, but Judge Mariano said he remanded Bosco, on the wish of the prosecutor who told the court he would summon the grand jury to act on Bosco's case.

"I was informed the grand jury would be summoned" said Judge Mariano, "and I know the prosecutor did get in touch with some of the members, but they were not all available to sit.

Held for Prosecutor

"Hence the prosecutor may bring them today, tomorrow, or any other day that suits. No case such as this has ever come to my attention, and I simply acted to aid the county prosecutor's office, and to put Bosco in charge of the county officials and out of the city's hands, where I do not believe the case should rest at present time.

"I suggested to Prosecutor Orlando that it would be well to obtain a bench warrant in order to hold Bosco, and he agreed with me at that time. We also called in John L. Morrissey, counsel for Bosco, and I understand that he agreed with the procedure I had outlined.

"So I held Bosco to await the action of the county prosecutor's office and he is being held a prisoner under those exact circumstances. Bosco is charged with murder now."

Hearing Held Unnecessary

Bosco appeared in court unkempt, unshaven and handcuffed on complaint by Detective Murphy that on Jan. 10 Bosco "did feloniously and willfully murder, kill and slay" Magalas in a card game holdup was not read to the prisoner and he was not even asked to plead.

"For the purpose of the prisoner being committed to the county jail pending a further hearing next Monday, there is no necessity for a hearing at this time," said City Prosecutor Cohen. "He has already been indicted.

"The usual procedure is to hold a hearing only When there has been no action by the Grand Jury, but in this case, the indictment having been found, it is necessary only to send him to the county jail on the strength of the indictment."

John L. Morrissey, Bosco's attorney, objected that no indictment officially has been presented, the Grand Jury not being scheduled to make its formal presentment until Friday.

"Detective Murphy," Cohen replied, "was instructed last Friday by the Grand Jury to take this man into custody because an indictment had been found. If counsel insists on production of the indictment, I believe the case should be postponed until Monday."

"In three days," Morrissey argued, "we have been able to obtain absolutely no information regarding the evidence or witnesses. There is no indictment officially. Of course, it is common gossip that the defendant has been indicted, but neither the county nor the city seems to know what to do with him. I think some evidence should be presented to show us why he is being 

Murphy interjected that both the Grand Jury foreman and Assistant Prosecutor Patrick J. Harding had instructed him to arrest Bosco, but Morrissey replied that "that is only hearsay evidence."

Jury To Be Called

"I have been in touch with County Prosecutor Orlando," Judge Mariano explained, ''and he is going to call the Grand Jury together as soon as he can to make a special presentment."

"Well, what is our status here?" inquired Morrissey.

"He is a county prisoner," said Mariano, "the city has nothing to do with it. If an indictment has been presented, the county would be able to have the defendant. I see no harm committing him until further action by the Grand Jury."

Morrissey then asked that bail be set. Cohen objected on the ground that the court had no legal right so to do. Mariano said he had the right but would not set bail.

"This is the first time I ever saw a defendant held without evidence or testimony," remarked Morrissey.

"There will be plenty of witnesses when the time comes," Cohen answered.

"What do you know about it?" Morrissey shot back. "You don't know anything about it. You don't even know who the witnesses will be."


Camden Courier-Post * February 17, 1938

State Closes Case Against 2 Men Charged With Pay Swindle Plot

Two men who declare they were the unwitting dupes of a third, who is still at large, went on trial yesterday in Criminal Court before Judge Clifford A. Baldwin. The defendants are charged with conspiracy to defraud tradesmen and others through the use of counterfeit paychecks of the R. C. A. Manufacturing Company.

The defendants are Alfred J. Bittner, 25, of 892 Lois avenue and Benjamin Joie, 25, of Williamstown. The third man, accused by the others as the, "brains" of the alleged plot, is George Hickman, now a fugitive.

The State closed its case late yesterday when Detective Thomas Murphy read a statement made to him by Bittner at the time of his arrest. James Mulligan and Heber McCord, two other detectives, said they were present when Bittner made the statement.

According to the document Murphy read to the jury, Bittner said Hickman came to him and asked him to do a printing job. When Bittner heard it was a check job, he refused to take it, saying he did not want to get into trouble.

Refused Printing Job

Hickman went away, returning several days later with material which he asked Bittner to look over. Bittner said he told Hickman the material could be used in a check printing job. Again Hickman asked Bittner to do the work, Bittner said, and again he refused. 

According to the statement, Bittner's reply each time was: "Not interested." ' Hickman again appealed to him to do the job, asserting "no one will catch up with you, if you do it." Finally Bittner said he would tell Hickman about the printing business.

Hickman promised Bittner money for the information, and then came to Bittner's home and started using his press. Bittner noticed Hickman was printing RCA checks and asked him where he obtained the trademark. 

The reply, Bittner said, was: "In Philadelphia."

Bittner told Murphy he watched Hickman print the checks until about 100 were printed. Several days later, Bittner said, he heard Joie was arrested, and a couple of days later he, himself, was arrested.

Murphy testified under cross-examination a search of Bittner's home resulted in discovery of four pieces of blank paper "that looked similar to the paper used in the forged checks."

Murphy also testified Joie said he had been paid $25 by Hickman for the use of his car one day, but that he knew nothing about Hickman's business or any conspiracy to use the paychecks to swindle victims.

Photograph Identified 

James Bennett, Oaklyn grocery clerk, was the first witness. He identified a photograph of Hickman as the man who came in and cashed one of the counterfeit checks. Bennett said he saw no one else in the car. He said he wrote down the license number of the car on the sleeve of his white coat.

Others who identified the photograph of Hickman as the passer of similar checks were: Charles Brodson, 1220 Empire avenue, owner of the Central Liquor Company; Albert Drell, employee of a meat store at 1192 Yorkship Square; David Raphael, chain grocery employee at Haddon and Kaighn avenues; Jules Rosenberg, grocer, of 618 West Maple avenue, 
Merchantville, and Samuel Kaplan, of a chain store at 1068 Kaighn avenue. Cecelia Rosenberg, wife of the proprietor of a liquor store at 2320 Federal street, was the only victim who could not positively identify Hickman's picture.

Edwin Bigger, assistant paymaster of the RCA Manufacturing Company, testified the checks were not those issued by his company. Lawrence M. Crowther, an executive of a Philadelphia firm that prints the RCA checks, also testified they were counterfeit.

The trial is expected to continue for several days.

Engraver Testifies

John S. Quirk, 218 North Tenth street, Philadelphia, a designer and engraver, said he had done some work for Bittner. He told how County Detective James Mulligan came to his office when he showed the detective a copy of an RCA trademark cut on which he had worked for a man he said may have been Bittner. Under cross-examination Quirk said the copy shown him in court and the copy also presented for examination, bore no relation.

Edward H. Fritsch, office manager for Ruttle, Shaw and Wetherill, typesetters, said Hickman came to his establishment for type set on three occasions. Joie, he said, picked up one order. He identified some of the type shown him in court as set by his firm. He also identified a style book shown him as coming from his company's, offices.

E. Irving Silverstein, 5503 Pine street, a photo engraver for the Atlas Photo Engraving Company, identified a border on the checks which he said he made up for Hickman.

Chief of County Detectives Lawrence T. Doran told of the investigation. He said he had gone to Bittner's printing establishment, where he found the stylebook shown in evidence, as well as four blank sheets of paper similar to that used for the bogus checks..

Camden Courier-Post
February 21, 1938

Broadway - Benson Street
Pine Street - Thomas Murphy
Gus Koerner - James McLaughlin
Dominick DiPilla - Anthony DiPilla
Nicholas Dentino - Edward Bock


Camden Courier-Post
February 22, 1938

Gene R. Mariano
Dominick DiPilla
Anthony DiPilla
Nicholas Dentino
Edward Bock
Pine Street
Thomas Murphy
Benson Street


Camden Courier-Post * February 25, 1938

Slips Representing $138 Play Reported Taken in Jackson Street House 

Two men and a woman were arrested and numbers slips representing play of $138 were seized in a raid on a house at 1039 Jackson Street yesterday.

Detectives described the place as “drop” for the slips and said they believed they were left, there by writers and delivered to "banks" at night. 

Those arrested gave names and addresses of Joseph Orlowski, 31, of the Jackson Street address; Mary Stanska, 29, of 1275 Chase Street, and John Pawela, 21, of 1564 Louis Street. All were charged with violating the State Crimes Act pertaining to gambling.

The raid was made by City Detectives Thomas Murphy, Jr., and Gustav Koerner and Policemen James McLaughlin and Raymond Carson. Besides the slips, the detectives seized $52.97 in money lying on a table.

Murphy said he and Koerner have been watching, the place for several days and raided it today when they saw several persons enter. Those arrested are being held in $2000 bail for a hearing in police court tomorrow. 


Camden Courier-Post - 1938
Click on Images to enlarge
August Pflederer - William Casler - Clifford Carr - Joseph Mardino - Thomas Murphy
Mitchell Sadowski - Stanley Krause -
Stanley Geda - John Lenkowski
Calvin Hunsinger - George Mayo
Genova Cafe 
Park Boulevard - Kaighn Avenue - South 9th Street - South 15th Street - Mickle Street - North 3rd Street Arch Street 


Camden Courier-Post
October 11, 1939

Angelo D. Malandra
Thomas Murphy - Clifford Carr
Joseph Osinski - Mt. Vernon Street
Theodore Hunter - Thurman Street

Camden Courier-Post - December 26, 1939


Andrew Scarduzio
Lawrence T. Doran
Thomas Murphy

Joseph Romanowski

Joseph Lenkowski
Stanley Jaskiewicz
Nicholas Scarduzio

Mary W. Kobus

Everett Joslin

Harry Kyler
Bridge Cafe
Mount Vernon Street

Orchard Street

South 8th Street

Dominic "Mickey" Hanley

Camden Courier-Post - April 6, 1940

Clifford Carr - Thomas Murphy - Marshall Thompson - Mary W. Kobus
Viola Street

Camden Courier-Post * October 31, 1940








Stanley Geda - Whitman Avenue - Thomas Murphy - Stanley Gasior - Mechanic Street
George Pestridge - George Hess Sr. -
Merrimac Road - Collings Road - William Hastings
Charles Craig -
Mary Kobus - Raymond Smith - John Githens - Monitor Road - West Jersey Cafe
Gene R. Mariano - John Miller - Clinton Street - Federal Street - Albert Brager

Camden Courier-Post

May 27, 1942

Jack Silverman
Thomas Murphy
Harold B. Ash
Lillian McNamara
John F. Dease
Beideman Avenue
Trenton Avenue
North 6th Street
North 23rd Street
Baird Avenue
Admiral Wilson Boulevard

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post - June 14, 1944


Camden Courier-Post - December 2, 1945
Thomas Murphy - August Pflederer - Romeo deSanctis - Leon Grenkwicz
Mickey Quinn - Mitchell Sadowski

Indiana PA Evening Gazette - March 21, 1946

Camden Courier-Post * October 11, 1949

Joseph Wright - John Wright - Ferry Avenue - Camden Forge - Thomas Murphy
George Warner - Watson Street - Baring Street - Harry Plum - Frank Geutherman - Frank Cavallo
Arthur Ardiuno - Vincent Ardiuno -
Linden Street - North 11th Street

Camden Courier-Post
October 11, 1949

Marshall Thompson
Walter H. Lehman


Camden Courier-Post * October 11, 1949

Walter H. Lehman - South 7th Street - Burma Road - Olympia Road
Dr. R. Dean Cavalli - Lawrence T. Doran -
Walter Carley
Edward Watson - Joel White - Frank Cavallo - Frank Senatore - Thomas Murphy
Marshall Thompson - Harry Lehman - Sheridan Street - Alice Ollick - Frank Lehman - Rose Lehman

Camden Courier-Post * December 19, 1949

George E. Hitt - Thomas Murphy

Philadelphia Bulletin
June 2, 1950

Paul D. O'Neill
William R. Toy

Camden Courier-Post
February 2, 1952

Thomas Lauria
Edward Shapiro
Gustav A. Koerner
Van Hook Street


Camden Courier-Post * February 2, 1952



Thomas Lauria - Edward Shapiro - John Moffa - Gustav A. Koerner - Thomas Murphy - Van Hook Street

Camden Courier-Post * April 5, 1952
Thomas Murphy - George Wilmer - Liberty Street - Earl Quinton - William Kelly - William H. Neale
Clifford Carr - William O'Brien - John Huston - August Pflederer - George Ellis - Marshall Thompson 


November 5, 1952

Edward "Biggie" Swietkanski
William Kelly

Camden Courier-Post
October 9, 1952

Vincent Conley
Clifford Del Rossi
Gustav Koerner
Thomas Murphy
Woodley Snyder
Rachel Weiner
Kaighn Avenue
Wesley Zion A.M.E. Church
William Spearman
Julius Snyder



Camden Courier-Post * January 12, 1953


Benjamin Dzick - George Ellis - Marshall Thompson - Stanley Slagle - James J. Lenahan
Robert Sharp - Mary Lynch - Charles Clark -
Lynch's Cafe - North Front Street
Thomas Murphy - Harry Tracy - William Kelly - Oliver Morgan - John J. Hegar
Harry Kyler - Vincent Conley - Broadway - Federal Street - South 7th Street - John V. Wilkie
Kaighn Avenue -
Liberty Street - North 3rd Street

A difficult case that Detective Captain Murphy investigated in 1953 was that of the tragic suicide of James S. Wilkie, son of a veteran Camden police officer, John V. Wilkie.  For several days after the shooting, Sgt. Wilkie claimed that he had shot his son, in order that he receive a Catholic funeral. He retracted his confession after it became apparent that he could not deceive the city and county investigators, and was released after the grand jury refused to return an indictment.

This tragic case saw the involvement of many of Camden's law enforcement and legal community, including  Benjamin Asbell, Mitchell H. Cohen, Wilfred Dube, James J. Mulligan, J. James Hainsworth, Samuel P. Orlando, John Healey, and Joseph Bennie, among others.


Camden Courier-Post - December 21, 1953



Gettysburg PA Times - December 23, 1953

Detective Is Held For Shooting Son

Camden NJ (AP)- A Camden city detective, Sgt. John V. Wilkie, is being held on a manslaughter charge in the shooting of his 17 year-old son.
       Police said last night Wilkie told them his son was killed accidentally as he and the youth struggled for his service revolver Sunday morning.
       The boy's death had been called a suicide by Camden County Coroner John A. Healy. A pathology report indicated that the head wound sustained by the younger Wilkie was self-inflicted.
       Camden County Prosecutor Mitchell H. Cohen said the detective told him he tried to take his own life after his son was shot but the pistol misfired.
       Wilkie was charged with manslaughter and held in custody pending a hearing to set bail.

Camden Courier-Post - December 24, 1953


Camden Courier-Post - December 26, 1953


Camden Courier-Post - December 28, 1953


Camden Courier-Post - December 31, 1953

Wilkie Freed By Vote of Grand Jury


Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Times

June 17, 1954

Gustav Koerner
Thomas P. Murphy
Harry Brown


Camden Courier-Post
April 12, 1955

Edward Carroll
Willard C. Schriver
Thomas P. Murphy
Anthony Skolski

Camden Courier-Post
April 12, 1955

Philip Large
Herbert Bloxsom
William Bennett
Cecil Picou
Charles O'Keefe
Anthony Marino
Thomas P. Murphy

Camden Courier-Post * May 7, 1958

E. George Aaron - Anthony C. Mitchell - Walter E. Rowand - Harry Kyler Sr. - John Stanton
Benjamin Simon - Samuel Corsella - Karl Friedrichs - Thomas P. Murphy - Marshall Thompson
Clifford Carr - William Thorn - Joseph Hooven Sr. - Joseph W. Cowgill - Anthony Skolski