PHILIP E. SMITH was born in New York in 1865, the son of parents born in Northern Ireland. He moved to Camden late in 1891, eventually finding work as a conductor with the Reading Railroad. Philip Smith was married to his wife, Elizabeth, around 1902. Philip Smith was a staunch Catholic, a member of the Knights of Columbus Americus Council No. 439, and a member of the Church of the Immaculate Conception at Broadway and Market Street.
By 1920 Philip and Elizabeth Smith owned a home at 424 Chambers Avenue, just north of Berkley Street, in South Camden. They lived next door to Enos Dellmuth, who worked for the C. Howard Hunt Pen Company and was involved in several civic projects in Camden. The Smiths later took in lodgers, and at the time of the 1930 census were letting rooms to two schoolteachers, Miss Clara Fowler and Miss Elizabeth Broome.
Philip E Smith retired in 1933. He passed away on October 10, 1936, survived by his wife and a sister. Elizabeth Smith was still residing at 424 Chambers Avenue as late as 1947
|Looking North on Chambers Street from Berkley Street - about 1910|
|424 Chambers Street is on the right, two doors beyond the red mark.|
of the Immaculate Conception & the Catholic Lyceum
as seen from NW corner of Broadway & Market Street.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE
RETURN TO CORPORAL CHARLES ALBERT MATHEWS PAGE