Herman Otto
Kreher


HERMAN OTTO KREHER was born in Germany on October 13, 1883 to Herman F. and Louisa Kreher. His parents brought him to Camden NJ before he was two years old. His father settled the family in the Pavonia section of Stockton Township, known in modern tomes as the Cramer Hill neighborhood of Camden NJ, where he worked as a slate roofer. The 1906 Camden City Directory shows them living at 1220 North 25th Street. This neighborhood was the home of many other German immigrants in this period. The Krehers also owned a delicatessen, in the years around 1930.

After marrying Tillie J. Melhourt around 1908, Herman Otto Kreher joined the Camden Fire Department on September 1, 1911. 

The 1914 City Directory shows him living at 945 North 25th Street. When he registered for the draft in September of 1918, he lived at 929 North 25th Street in the Cramer Hill section of Camden NJ, near Charles Irle Sr.'s  Saloon.  This bar was operated by the Hinkson family by 1926, and in Herman Otto Kreher's later years was known as Beatty's Grill and as Juno's Tavern. The home was a short walk from the firehouse, on North 27th Street, where Herman Otto Kreher worked. He had been promoted to Junior Captain of Engine Company 11 by October 6, 1936 when he conducted a fire drill for the students at the Harry C. Sharp Public School at 32nd Street and Hayes Avenue and the Washington School at Cambridge Street and River Road.

Herman Otto Kreher retired as the Captain of Engine Company 11 at North 27th Street and River Road on October 1, 1942. He worked as an auxiliary policeman in Camden for a few years after his retirement By 1947 his son Edward was also working as a Camden fire fighter.

Herman Otto Kreher was still living at 929 North 25th Street when he passed away in February of 1959, survived by his wife Tillie and his four children, Herman J Wilhelmina "Minnie", Edward, and Tillie, as well as a sister, Mrs. Anna Collins.. 

Herman Kreher's son, Edward Kreher, served for twenty years as a member of the Camden Fire Department,

Camden Courier-Post - February 23, 1959

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE