George
M.
Townsend


GEORGE McCLENNON TOWNSEND was born in Camden, New Jersey on March 16, 1895. The 1910 Census shows George M. Townsend, younger sister Ruth and mother Annie living at 1123 Penn Street, the home of John Everingham and his three teenaged children.

George M. Townsend was 21 when he married. On June 5, 1917 he registered for the draft. He was then living with his wife Helen at 2102 Watson Street in East Camden. A daughter, Dorothy, was born soon afterwards. George M. Townsend was the working as a bottler for David Hugo Redelmeyer, who conducted a liquor store and bottling business at 2320 Federal Street

When the Census was taken in January of 1920, George M. Townsend was working as a glazier at the Keystone Leather Works. The young family had moved to a house at 140 North 25th Street. Their neighbors at 134 North 25th Street were John and Blanche Stinger, whose sons John L. Stinger and Philip A. Stinger would become career policemen and firemen, respectively.

By 1924 George M. Townsend had joined the Camden Fire Department. The family had moved to 2106 Watson Street, according to the 1924 Camden City Directory, and remained there into 1927. By 1929 the Townsends had moved once again, to 435 Pfeiffer Street. April 1930 Census him and his wife Helen, daughter Dorothy and young son George at the Pfeiffer Street address..

George M. Townsend's final post with the Department was as a Captain with Engine Company 3 on Broadway in Camden's old Eighth Ward. 

George M. Townsend later moved to 2779 Stevens Street, where he resided at the time of his passing. He died on April 6, 1940. He was buried at Calvary Cemetery in Delaware Township (present-day Cherry Hill), New Jersey. His widow and son George J. Townsend were living at 331 Garden Avenue in East Camden when the 1947 Camden City Directory was coimpiled.


World War I Draft Card


Hook & Ladder Company 3, Hose & Chemical Company 1 & Engine Company 9 - 1924

Hook & Ladder Company 3: Captain Joseph B. Ayres, FF Dave Humphries, Al Dukes, John Mulligan, Bill Mountney, Bill Hopkins. Hose & Chemical Company 1: Captain Charles H. Robinson, FF William E "Pud" Jaeckel, George Townsend, Ken Naylor, Howard Gick. Engine Company 9: Captain John H. Vickers, FF Irv Lederman, Newton Ash, Joe Gentlesk, Al Palmer


John Voll, Edward Peraria, Howard Gick, Captain Eli Hunt and George Townsend, firefighters from Engine Company 9, based on Twenty-seventh Street, take a moment together following a fire on a rainy night in December 1928, seen here in the first row from left to right. The blaze involved the offices of Leon E. Todd at 2623 Westfield Avenue. Todd was a realtor who helped develop Medford Lakes.


Camden Courier-Post * April 8, 1940

Engine Company 3 - Rollo R. Jones - Stevens Street



RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE