Dr. Grant
Elmer
Kirk


 

DR. GRANT ELMER KIRK was born in Philadelphia in 1865. He was educated in Philadelphia, and was an 1885 graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy. He appears in the 1888-1889 Camden City Directory as living and working as a clerk for Camden physician and druggist Dr. Dillwyn Pancoast at 521 South 5th Street. By 1890 he had moved to 1801 Broadway where he lived and worked as a pharmacist for Dr. John Donges. Grant Kirk was also studying medicine during these years. In 1891 he received his M.D. from Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia. In June of that year Dr. Kirk, along with Dr. Walter S. Bray and Dr. Rowland Haines, were elected as members of the Camden County Medical Society. He married Dr. Donges' eldest daughter. Miriam E. Donges, shortly after graduation. Dr. and Mrs. Kirk resided at 1809 Broadway after their marriage, appearing there in the 1893-1894 Camden City Directory. By 1897 Dr. Donges had moved his home and practice uptown. The Kirks moved to 1801 Broadway, where they would reside until about 1913. Their marriage produced two children, Theodore W. and Florence D. Kirk.

The March 29, 1903 edition of the Trenton Times states that Dr. Kirk, along with Dr. Orris W. Saunders, John J. Mitchell, Frank Mills, and Willis Weldon, incorporated the Woodman Relief Association for "mutual relief and to maintain sick and death benefits."

In 1908 Dr. Kirk hired George H. Williams to work as a pharmacist at 1801 Broadway. George H. Williams moved from 300 Kaighn Avenue to a house that Dr. Kirk apparently had an interest in at 1715 Broadway. In 1914 Dr. Kirk appears to have sold 1801 Broadway to George Williams, who would conduct pharmacy there into the early 1940s. Dr. Kirk appears to have moved his offices, and perhaps also his residence, to 1715 Broadway

Dr. Kirk was serving as a member of the Board of Directors of the Broadway Trust Company bank in March of 1916.

During World War I Dr. Kirk served on Camden's Third District Draft Board. Brother-in-law Ralph Waldo Emerson Donges also served on one of Camden's Draft Boards during this period. Dr. Kirk also served as a First Lieutenant in the United States Army. By January of 1920 Grant and Miriam Kirk had moved to 114 East Madison Avenue in Collingswood NJ. Dr. Kirk passed away in 1926.

During his lifetime Dr. Grant Kirk had been a member of the the Camden County and Camden City Medical Societies.  

Philadelphia Inquirer
July 4, 1902

Dr. Grant E. Kirk - John Wescott - William Earnshaw
Edward WIlcox -
Harry C. Sharp

Click on Image for Enlarged View PDF File


Philadelphia Inquirer - September 15, 1904

Dr. Grant E. Kirk - Dr. Frank O. Stem - E.E. Jeffries
Edward WIlcox -
Harry C. Sharp

Click on Image for Enlarged View PDF File


Philadelphia Inquirer - March 24, 1905

Dr. Grant E. Kirk - Dr. A. Haines Lippincott - Central Avenue - Sycamore Street


Philadelphia Inquirer - August 9, 1906

Dr. Grant E. Kirk - Simon Besser


Philadelphia Inquirer
December 2, 1906 

John Schnitzler & Family
Emerson Schnitzler
Dr. Grant Elmer Kirk
Victor Kissling
Newton Avenue


Philadelphia Inquirer - November 24, 1908

Dr. John Donges - Dr. Grant E. Kirk - Viola Street - Broadway


Philadelphia Inquirer - July 31, 1909

Dr. Grant E. Kirk - William Mills - Louis Smearer


Philadelphia Inquirer - September 7, 1911
...continued...
  Amos Richard Dease - John A. Mather - Melbourne F. Middleton Jr. - William D. Brown - Arthur Colsey - William F. Kelly - R.J. Garrison - James E. Hewitt - Lawrence Reader - Dr. Grant E. Kirk
George Kleinheinz - James F. Walton - David A. Henderson - John T. Rodan - Charles Laib

 

Philadelphia Inquirer
January 1,1912

James E. Hewitt
John Prentice
William F. Kelly
William H. Hall
Richard Carney
Dr. Grant E. Kirk
Thomas Littlehales
A.D. Kline
Charles H. Ellis
Jacob Schiller
William B. Stephens
Arthur Stanley



Click on Images for PDF File
Of Complete Article

 


Philadelphia Inquirer - February 3, 1915

Dr. Grant E. Kirk - Theodore Kausel - Conrad Hinkle


Bank Directory - March 1, 1916

Broadway Trust Company
Broadway below Walnut St. Camden, N.
J. 

J
. J. BURLEIGH President
ANTHONY KOBUS Vice President - WM. J. COOPER Vice President
BURLEIGH H. DRAPER Secretary and Treasurer 

Directors:

John J. Burleigh        

William Mills 

Dr. S G. Bushey         

Anthony J. Oberst 

Ralph D. Childrey         

John Wesley Sell 

Robert H. Comey         

Dr. Marvin A. Street 

William J. Cooper      

Wilbert L. Sweeten

George A. Frey          

Edward B. Stone

Albert Fogg         

Adam Schlorer

Frederick Grant         

Bernhard F. Schroeder

John B. Kates         

Edward Schuster Jr. 

Dr. Grant E. Kirk        

John O. Wilson

Anthony Kobus

 


Camden Courier-Post - June 12, 1933

Old Centreville Families 
Dr. Donges, Mills, Schepperkittes, Covely and Other Men Wrought Through Years to Bring Needed Improvements to District

By BEN COURTER

WHEN a larger community annexes an adjoining district the newer area is generally regarded, for a time at least, as a step-child. Older residents of East Camden will bear out that truism when they recall how difficult it was to obtain improvements. Years before, Newton Township which became part of Camden, had had the same experience. Under such circumstances, it requires tireless energy on the part of leading men to get what their district needs. Demands often go unheeded unless the community is fortunate in having those of spirit who insist on street improvements, water extension, lighting facilities and schools. That was more in evidence half a century ago than now, of course, for Camden itself was little more than a large village. 

Down in Centreville there were men who looked after the interests of their constituents, who slowly but surely obtained, improvements and who insisted on being recognized by the powers that be. No one may think of old Centreville without thought of Dr. John W. Donges, whose value to not only that section but Camden at large, has been expatiated upon in these annals. He was not only a leading physician, with a practice extending into Camden, but a leader in many civic movements, and any article on that era would be incomplete without allusion again to the doctor whose services as a real family physician are part of the traditions of many old families. 

Came Here In 1872 

He came here in 1872 from Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, when his health was affected by overwork through loyalty to his patients. He bought the drugstore at Ferry Avenue and Broadway, remaining there for many years. It was there Supreme Court Justice Ralph W. E. Donges spent his boyhood. 

There, too, Dr. Clarence B. Donges and Attorney Raymond Donges were boys. Grant E. Kirk, clerk in his store, later becoming a physician and for several years a member of council and at one time being prominently boomed for mayor, married their sister. Dr. Donges was elected to council in 1878 on the Democratic ticket, itself an evidence of the high regard in which he was held, for the Eighth Ward generally was rock­ribbed Republican. Until the early part of this century he resided in his old place, but later went to Broadway and Clinton Streets. In later years, after he had retired, he was city assessor, "just to keep busy." He died a few years ago, well in his 80s, mourned by a great host of Camdenites.

There was another widely known Centreville family of the old days, that of Samuel Mills, who had his own abattoir at Broadway and Jackson Street, where city-dressed meats were provided before the days of car refrigeration brought supplies from the great packing places in Chicago. His son, Charlie, was long a member of the Board of Education, while another, William, was a city councilman. Edward Milis, another son, was excise commissioner 35 years ago in the days when there was plenty of trouble with Sunday sellers. 

Cornelius Schepperkotter was a factor in politics down that way, too, having a grocery store on Ferry Avenue at Ninth, later moving to the southwest corner when the Charles Sumner School was built. That school was torn down two years ago for the recreation center. Schepperkotter was a member of the old Board of Public Instruction in the late 90's, named by Mayor Cooper B. Hatch. In later years and until his death, he was superintendent of Evergreen Cemetery. He was father of Mrs. Frank S. Albright, wife of City Clerk Albright

Frank Covely 

Shortly after the New York shipyard was opened, there moved to the "Hill" Frank D. L. Covely, who became a joiner and for years was foreman of the joiner shop. He was widely known as a secret society man and also as an effective campaign speaker for the G. O. P. He was a member of the Board of Education. 

He sought to go to council, but that was at the time Kirk was a power in the ward. Covely laughingly used to tell of a meeting all set for him from which all save the colored folk were drawn away through strategy of his party opponents. But for ten years he was a member of the Board of Recreation Commissioners. 

That movement owed much to his work. Nor did he forget his colored friends, for he had a playground established for them at Ferry Avenue and Phillips Street and the large one [Staley Park- PMC] at Seventh and Jefferson streets. Long afterward that was named for another city official, but Covely's friends said it should have been for him, as a monument to his services for the boys and girls of Centreville. He died a few years ago at Bellmawr in his 70s, after a hectic experience as a chicken raiser at Port Norris. 

There, too, was William Dorrell, superjntendent of the old "Narrow Guage" who was one of the leading spirits in the paving of Broadway, nearly 60 years ago the big issue of that section. He lived in a house along the railroad still standing, as the hospital and dispensary of the shipyard. 

Mention has been made of the Ferrises, the Helmbolds, the Yeagers, of Squire James D. Chester and Squire F. Joseph Rouh. There was also William O. Thompson, the leading contractor down that way for many years and Theodore Tiedeken, who established the wagon works on Van Hook Street, Martin Ewe, who had the hotel at Broadway and Emerald, and down the street a bit James Croker, who operated Tammany Hall. Forty years ago there was one of the best young athletes of the city, Thomas Nicholas, now retired Camden fire chief. He was down in old No. 3 with Bill Rose, long a fire captain, Bill Miller, Al James, Sam Lodge, Gus Dold and Jim Ware.

Many of these old timers have passed on, but others are still in the flesh but scattered to all parts of the city but it may be said the survivors look back on the days that were down there in Centreville with an interest that does not dim with the passing years.


1801 Broadway

Where Dr. Grant Kirk
lived and practiced from the
mid-1890s through 1913


RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE