DANIEL KELLY moved to the corner of Ferry Avenue and Van Buren Street in Camden in 1881, where he operated a saloon for many years. He became an early member of the Church of the Sacred Heart, which at that time was located in a small building at South Ninth Street and Van Hook Street.

Daniel Kelly was still living at Ferry Avenue and Van Buren Street and operating the bar as late as 1914. At some point prior to 1918 he sold the business to John Asbert. The bar later was owned by the Knast family, who remained in business there until the mid-1950s, when they moved their business to  1703 Mulford Street. Daniel Kelly later engaged in building houses, prior to his retirement in 1919. 

Daniel Kelly married Emma C. Johnson in 1885. At the time of the 1920 Census Daniel and Emma Kelly were living at 1360 Kaighn Avenue, in the Parkside section of Camden. Emma Kelly passed away in March of 1930, Daniel soon afterwards.

Daniel Kelly's son, William J. Kelly, had a long and successful business career in Camden.

Camden Post-Telegram * May 9, 1914

Veteran Justice of the Peace Buried Today from Sacred Heart Church

   Final tribute was this morning paid to the departed memory of Justice F. Joseph Rouh when his funeral occurred from his late residence, 753 Ferry Avenue. High mass was sung at the Sacred Heart Church with Reverend J.B. McCloskey as celebramt, and the remains were interred at the family plot at Evergreen Cemetery by Undertaker George Blake.

   The pallbearers were Frank Wagner, Daniel Kelly, William Mullin, William Buchey, J. Michael, and J. Buchey. The remains reposed ion a handsome walnut casket and many floral pieces surrounded the bier. The name plate upon the casket bore the inscription:

F. Joseph Rouh
Died May 5, 1914
Aged 72 years

Last night hundreds of persons visited the Rouh residence and gazed upon the features of the aged and respected gentleman, who was known by almost everyone in the Eighth Ward. Squire Rouh was a pioneer resident of “Centerville” and his loss will be regretted by many.

Mr. Rouh’s death followed an illness of several months. His wife, Marianna Rouh, and one son, Charles Rouh, survive him.

South Jersey: A History 1624-1924

DANIEL KELLY, born in Colestown, in November, 1854, was educated in the Moorestown schools, and remained on his father's farm until he was eighteen years old. In 1873, he moved to the old farm of Charles Cooper, now known as Woodlynne, where he made his home until he moved to Camden in 1881 to engage in the retail liquor business. Some years later he became interested in building residences, and ventured into that field, erecting twenty-three houses before he retired in 1919.

Mr. Kelly is of Irish parentage, his father and mother, Charles and Eliza (Fitzpatrick) Kelly, both having been born in Ireland. Charles Kelly was seventeen when he came to America, where he devoted himself to farming. Daniel Kelly has been actively connected with the Democratic party, and for some time served as a committeeman. He is a member of Division No. 4, Ancient Order of the Hibernians, and is a communicant of the Church of the Sacred Heart.

In 1885, at Camden, Daniel Kelly married Emma C. Johnson, and three children have been born to them: William J., a sketch of whom follows; Emma C., April 6, 1891; Helen, November 30, 1894.

Church of the Sacred Heart
Broadway & Ferry Avenue

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post - March 29, 1930