WILLIAM THORN was born in New Jersey on September 19, 1891 to Edward and Lizzie Thorn. His father worked as a bookkeeper. The Thorn family lived at 1106 Locust Street in the late 1880s and early 1890s, but had moved to 1125 Locust Street by the time of the census of 1900. Older siblings, John, Edward, and Mary were also living at this address. By 1910 Edward Thorn had died. Lizzie Thorn and her three sons still lived at 1125 Locust Street. William Thorn was then working as a shipper at the C.B. Coles lumber yard, Front Street and Kaighn Avenue.

William Thorn married Florence Keating around 1913. When he registered for the draft on June 5, 1917 he was still working at the C.B. Coles business. A daughter, Mary, had been born. The Thorn's lived at 620 South 4th Street at that time. William Thorn was not called up for military service, possibly because he had taken a job at one of Camden's shipyards.

When the census was taken in 1920 the Thorns lived at 571 Line Street, the home of John & Florence Keating. Both John Keating and William Thorn were working in a shipyard as shipfitters at this time, as was John Keating Jr.

During the 1920s William Thorn joined the Camden Police Department. In April of 1930, when the next census was enumerated, William and Florence Thorn were still living at 571 Line Street. Father-in-law John Keating had passed by this time. Also at this address were Mrs. Thorn's mother, brothers John, Edward, and Martin Keating, and sister Mrs. Mary Keating Yeager.

William Thorn was still working for the Camden Police Department in 1947. He was still living at 571 Line Street as late as the fall of 1956. He later moved to 153 Boyd Street. Last a resident of Oaklyn NJ, William Thorn passed away in June of 1967.

Camden Courier-Post - October 30,1931


Ralph Manna, 24. of 1924 South Eleventh Street, Philadelphia, was sentenced to the county jail for 30 days yesterday by Police Judge Pancoast when Manna, was unable to pay a fine of $220 for drunken driving.

Manna was arrested early today by Patrolman William Thorn, who tes­tified he pursued Manna from Broadway and Federal Street to the Camden bridge plaza after Manna had refused to stop when he sounded his whistle. Manna's car was being driven in a zigzag manner on Broadway, Thorn testified.

Dr. Garnett Summerill pronounced Manna intoxicated. Manna entered a plea of not guilty to the charge.

Camden Courier-Post - February 7, 1933

Charges Husband Trapped on Pretense of Returning Child

Accused by his wife of binding her to a chair and threatening her life with a knife and with gas, Charles Flippen, 26, of 609 Grant street, was held without bail for the grand jury by Police Judge Garfield Pancoast yesterday.

Flippen's wife, Lillian, 24, lives at 1626 Wingohocking street, Philadelphia. She said the threats took place Saturday afternoon in the third floor front room of a rooming house in Penn street near Sixth. Patrolmen William Thorn, Walter Patton and Raymond Stark said they found adhesive tape and towel strippings in the room, and took two knives from Flippen.

Kidnapping Charged

Mrs. Flippen said her husband went to California last September, leaving her and their four-and-a-half year old daughter at his mother's home in Grant street. She heard nothing from him, she said, and in December she moved with the baby to Philadelphia. Last month, she charged, he returned and kidnapped the child in the street near her home.

On Saturday, she said, she received a telegram from Flippen, telling her he would give her the baby if she would meet him. She met him in Philadelphia and he took her to the Penn street house, where, he said, his brother was to bring the baby.

They went to a room ostensibly to wait for the brother to bring the baby, she said, and he told her he was going to ki11 her and himself.

He bound her arms and legs to a chair with adhesive tape and strips from a towel, she said. Then he waved a knife about her head and turned on the illuminating gas, Mrs. Flippen charged.  

She pleaded with him and finally induced him to take her to a restaurant, where she whispered to a waitress to can the police, the wife testified in Police Court. The waitress did so, and the police arrived shortly afterward.

Flippen pleaded not guilty to a charge of threatening to kill. He did not testify. 

Camden Courier-Post - February 9, 1933

Herbert Bott Is Unopposed for Presidency of Camden Association

The Camden Police and Firemen's Association will hold election of officers today at its headquarters, 1175 Whitman Avenue, from 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM.

Herbert Bott is unopposed for re-election as president. William Thorn is unopposed to replace Richard Middleton for financial secretary and Walter Vecander is unopposed for the new post of assistant financial secretary. All these are police officers.

The police trustees will be named from the following nine candidates: William Marter, George Ward, William Britner, Joseph Shreeve, William Schriber, Joseph Mardino, Joseph Dunnett, Leon Feltz and Russell Young. Two police sergeant-at-arms will be chosen from among Stanley Wirtz, Harry Cattell, Joseph Schultz and George Clayton.

Three candidates are seeking the post of vice president, which goes to a fireman. They are William Spencer, Charles Edwards and Albert Dukes. Warren Rich, a fireman, is slated to succeed himself as recording secretary and Winfield Leviseur is unopposed for the new post of assistant recording secretary, which goes to a fireman.

Four fireman trustees will be chosen from ten candidates. They are Charles Cook, Henry Baumgartel, Walter Eastlack, Arthur Batten, William Getner, William Toy, Lawrence Newton, James Young, Russell Anderson and William Taylor. Three firemen are seeking two posts as sergeants-at-arms. They are William Judge, John Mulligan and Furman Price.

Camden Courier-Post - February 10, 1933

Spencer Wins 3-Corner Fight for Vice-President of Association

Lauded by the members for his splendid work in behalf of the club, Herbert Bott, a  patrolman attached to the Third Police District, last night was re-elected president of the Camden Police and Firemen's Association.

The praise was heaped upon the patrolman following announcement that he had received 107 of 110 votes cast in yesterday's balloting. He was unopposed for reelection.

In a three-cornered fight, William Spencer, a fireman, was elected vice president of the association. He received 73 votes. His opponents were Charles Edwards, given 12 votes, and Albert Dukes, 18 votes. Both are firemen.

Others unopposed for office were: William Thorn, financial secretary; Walter Vecander, assistant financial secretary; Warren Rich, recording secretary, and Winfield Leviseur, assistant recording secretary. The last two are firemen while the first two are policemen.

Lieutenant George Ward, Patrolman William Marter, and Firemen William Taylor, William Getner, James Young and Lawrence Newton were elected to the board of trustees.

Sergeants-at-arms named were Stanley Wirtz and George Clayton, police, and William Judge and John Mulligan, firemen. All had opposition.

After the ballots had been counted William H. Iszard, former assemblyman, appeared on behalf of the Elks Crippled Kiddies Committee, and asked police to support the wrestling show to be staged by that group February 13..

Camden Morning Post
Camden Courier-Post - August 9, 1933


Car Sighted by Cops After Attack on 'Bluch' Golding's Place
Pursuers Send 12 Bullets After Fleeing Machine; May Have Hit One

Occupants of a roadster who are alleged to have fired two shots through a saloon window escaped early today after police fired a dozen shots at the car during a chase of a mile and a half.

Shortly after 1 p. m., Thomas "Bluch" Golding, proprietor of a cafe at 650 Central avenue, notified police of the attack.

Motorcycle Policemen Frank Guetherman and William Thorn saw the car described by Golding, at Ninth and Ferry Avenue. When the officers ordered the car to halt, its lights were extinguished and it sped away.

The police chased it to Fillmore Street, to Van Hook Street to Fourth Street where it disappeared, amid a barrage of bullets from a pump gun fired by the pursuers.

The car was seen to swerve just before it disappeared and police believe the drivel' may have been struck.

Camden Bridge police were notified to watch for the car, which bore a Camden county license.

Golding is a well known Eighth ward politician. He could give no reason for the attack.

Camden Courier-Post - September 8, 1934

Camden Courier-Post * May 7, 1958

E. George Aaron - Anthony C. Mitchell - Walter E. Rowand - Harry Kyler Sr. - John Stanton
Benjamin Simon - Samuel Corsella - Karl Friedrichs - Thomas P. Murphy - Marshall Thompson
Clifford Carr - William Thorn - Joseph Hooven Sr. - Joseph W. Cowgill - Anthony Skolski


Camden Courier-Post - June 27, 1967

Wm. Thorn, Patrolman, Dies at 75

Funeral services for William Thorn, 75, a patrolman retired from the Camden police force after 29 years service, will be Thursday.

Mr. Thorn, who formerly lived at 153 Boyd Street, died Saturday in Laurelview Convalescent Center, Pennsauken.

He was a member of the Police Benevolent Association and the East End Republican League, 12th Ward.

 He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Mary Capaldi of Woodlynne; four grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

Services will be at 10 a.m. in the David F. Harrigan Funeral Home, 1451 Broadway, where friends may call tomorrow night. Burial will be in New St. Mary's Cemetery, Bellmawr.