In April of 1861, the
Civil War began. William Cox answered his nation's call to arms.
April 25, 1861 William Cox enlisted in the Union Army as a Private. He was assigned to Company G, Fourth Infantry Regiment New
Jersey on April 27, 1861.
Fourth Regiment--Militia, was commanded by Colonel Matthew Miller, Jr.,
serving under him were Lieutenant Colonel Simpson R. Stroud and Major
Robert C. Johnson. This regiment was mustered into the U. S. service at
Trenton, April 27, 1861, to serve for three months, and left the
state for Washington, D. C., on May 3, with 37 commissioned
officers and 743 non-commissioned officers and privates, a total of 777.
On the evening of May 5 it reached the capital, and on the 9th it was
ordered to go into camp at Meridian hill, where, within a few days the
entire brigade was encamped, and where, on the 12th, it was honored
by a visit from the president, who warmly complimented the
appearance of the troops. On the evening of May 23 it joined the
2nd and 3d regiments and about midnight took up the line of march
in silence for the bridge that spanned the Potomac. This bridge was
crossed at 2 o'clock on the morning of the 24th, the 2nd was posted
at Roach's spring, and the 3d and 4th about half a mile beyond on the
Alexandria road. On July 16, a guard was detailed from the 4th for a section
of the Orange & Alexandria railroad, which it was important to
hold; one company from the regiment guarded the Long bridge; still
another was on duty at Arlington mills; and the remainder of the
regiment, together with the 2nd, was ordered to proceed to
Alexandria. On July 24, the term of service having expired, the 4th
returned to New Jersey and was mustered out at Trenton, July 31, 1861.
The total strength of the regiment was 783, and it lost by
discharge 6, by promotion 2, by death 2 and by desertion 7,
mustered out, 766.
William Cox was among those who mustered out with Company G,
Fourth Infantry Regiment New Jersey on July 31, 1861 at Trenton,
men who served with Company G became members of the Camden Fire
Department after it was founded in 1869, including William
Kelly Brown, Henry F.
Surault, Edward Mead, Benjamin
M. Lane, and William Gleason. Other Fourth Infantry men who served
A. Zimmerman, Charles
G. Zimmerman, William
C. Lee, George B. Anderson, Jesse
H.H. Clark, Cornelius
M. Brown, John
J. Brown, Benjamin
Connelly, and G.
Rudolph Tenner. Several other Fourth Infantry veterans played
significant roles in Camden in the ensuing years.
1870 census shows William Cox living with his father and brother
in South Camden. William Cox was working as a painter at the
time of the Census. In the summer of 1871, William Cox was appointed to the Camden Fire Department to take the
J. Kelly Brown as an extra man with
1. Brown had been
transferred to Engine
Company 2 on July 18, 1871.
Cox was working as an engineer, when appointed to the Fire
Department. He was then making his home at
later returned to working as a painter.
March 8, 1872 William Cox was removed from service with the
Camden Fire Department.
1878 City Directory shows William Cox, tobacconist, at the
southeast corner of North 4th and Arch Streets, and the 1880
census shows William Cox, wife Mary, and daughter Sarah living
at 402 Arch
Street. His occupations are given as tobacconist and
painter. William Cox maintained a tobacco shop at this corner
into the early 1900s. Around 1889 or early 1890 he moved to 400 Arch
1900 William Cox was a widower. He was then living at 400 Arch
Street with Harriet Francisco, whose occupation is listed as
"housekeeper". William Cox is not listed in the 1906
Camden City Directory.
1910 Census shows William Cox living at 616 Vine
his nephew William H. Cox and family. Brother John, who was
William H. Cox's father, also lived at that address. William Cox
was no longer working according to the census. William Cox is
listed in the 1910-1911 Camden City Directory. William Cox died
on June 5, 1912 and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery. Cemetery
records state that he was 67 years old at the time of his