H. Bassett was born in Pennsylvania in June of 1844, according to
the 1900 Census. He married in the late 1860s, and was living in
Camden's South Ward when the Census was taken in 1870. As stated
above, he was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on March 18,
1873, and lived at 517 Benson
Street into 1877. The 1878 Camden City Directory gives his
address as 623 Royden
Street, The Bassett family moved to 310 Stevens
Street prior to the compilation of the 1879 City Directory.
The Bassetts were at that address when the 1880 Census was taken,
then moved to 817 Market
Street, where they stayed as late as 1887.
Bassett returned to the Fire Department as Foreman of Engine
Company 2 on April 5, 1882, and served in that capacity for two
years. In 1884 and 1885 William Bassett and Isaac M.
partners in a painting business called Bassett & Shreeve's.
1888 William H. Bassett and family were living at 515 Benson
Street, where they stayed through at least 1890. The
1892-1893 Camden City Directory shows that William H. Bassett and
Joseph Lynn were the principals in a painting business called Lynn
and Bassett, located at 24 South
5th Street. William H. Bassett and family were then living at
Street. The Bassetts remained at this address for several
years, last appearing in Camden's City Directories in 1897. The
1898 Camden City Directory states that he had moved to
Philadelphia, where he appears in the 1900 and 1910
H. Bassett died on June 25, 1914 at Runnemede Heights, New Jersey.
After funeral services at the home of his son-in-law in
Philadelphia, he was buried at Harleigh Cemetery,.