V. McClellan
Fulton


 

V. McCLELLAN FULTON was born in Maryland around 1884. He had his first Studebaker dealership in 1909, and married at the age of 27. Known as "Mac" Fulton, he operated a Studebaker automobile agency in Camden for at least 30 years. In 1933, a time when Haddon Avenue in Camden was an "Auto Row", he moved his dealership to 1400 Haddon Avenue. By 1939 had moved again, to 1490 Haddon Avenue. He was quite successful in his day, and at the time of the 1930 Census, owned a home at 106 Browning Road in Merchantville NJ, near the corner of Maple Avenue and Browning Road, where he lived with his wife Sallie T. Fulton. Across the street lived prominent Camden attorney Albert S. Woodruff.

By December 8, 1941 "Mac" Fulton had sold his Studebaker dealership to Warren G. Toone, who continued to operate the business at 1490 Haddon Avenue. After WWII ended and retail automobile production resumed, Norman Druck, operated the Studebaker franchise, in a large facility at 1601 Haddon Avenue

"Mac" Fulton was an active member of Camden Lodge No. 293 Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, and was also a charter member of the Camden Rotary Club.


Philadelphia Inquirer - March 30, 1919

Camden
Courier-Post

February 17, 1928


Camden Courier-Post

September 12, 1929


Camden Courier-Post

June 2, 1932

Click on Image to Enlarge



Camden Courier-Post
June 18, 1932

Harry G. Robinson
Rud Priesendanz Jr.
William L. Sauerhoff
James H. Long
D. Trueman Stackhouse
Albert Austermuhl
V. McLellan Fulton

Camden Lodge No. 293
Benevolent Protective Order of Elks




Camden Courier-Post * June 16, 1932

Camden Courier-Post - February 6, 1933

STUDEBAKER AGENCY IN LARGER QUARTERS
MacFulton Announces His Removal and Addition of Sales Territory

V. M. Fulton, president of MacFulton, last night announced removal of his salesroom to 1400 Haddon avenue in "automobile row."

In connection with the removal to larger quarters, comes announcement from Studebaker headquarters that additional territory has been granted to the firm. In addition to Camden he will extend his sales area to Audubon, Collingswood, Haddonfield, Haddon Heights and Merchantville.

At the same time announcement was made that the new Rockne Six for 1933 will be displayed tomorrow in connection with a nationwide exhibition of this new car.

"It is appropriate that Rockne has chosen to remain in the quality group, for Studebaker, the sponsoring company, has always been a quality producer, the announcement says. 

"We do not believe that quality should be sacrificed to price. Events of the last two years indicate that in spite of depression the public is not willing to reduce its standards. When the depression first became intense, there was a tendency to cut price and forget about value. In the last few months we have seen the tables turn.

"Quality is holding its place. The public wants size, it wants beauty and it wants every detail that means performance and comfort. As prosperity returns this tendency will, in our judgment, become still more dominating, especially so since even with all admitted superiorities, the Rockne continues to sell at a surprisingly low price. 

The new Rockne Six is roomier, more powerful and more beautiful than its predecessor, which since its introduction a year ago has climbed from thirty-first place in the industry to a position among the first 10 leaders. The 1933 models and list prices indicate this Studebaker-sponsored car will continue to offer an ensemble of quality features heretofore found in automobiles costing from five to seven hundred dollars more."

"The motor has been given increased power. The distinctive Rockne aerodynamic lines have been further streamlined. Improvements in equipment and features that make driving simpler and more pleasant are abundant. Interiors provide more room, and safety glass is standard equipment in the windshields of all passenger cars.

"In the line are deluxe and standard five-passenger sedans; deluxe and standard coaches; deluxe and standard coupes with and without rumble seats; deluxe and standard five-passenger convertible sedans and deluxe and standard convertible roadsters.

"All models have been lowered more than one inch adding to safety and streamlined appearance. All models are equipped with improved Studebaker free-wheeling in all forward speeds, plus synchronized-shift and silent second. The horsepower of the Rockne motors has been increased to 70 at 3200 revolutions a minute. Automatic starting, introduced on the first Rockne Sixes a year ago and applauded by the public, is on all models.

"Rockne motors are floated in live rubber at all four points of suspension, .giving a freedom of engine vibration. The chassis is of the "X" frame design, which won Rockne many friends in 1932. Many other details of advanced engineering, such as  electro-plated pistons, threaded noiseless spring shackles and quadruply balanced crankshafts are found in the new models.

"The wheelbase is 110 inches. This generous length, plus the low swung bodies and effective color combinations, give the car a genuine smartness in the most modern manner. 

"The Rockne bodies are of one piece all steel construction - four basic steel sections fused into one by flash welding. A new handling of front fenders conceals underneath parts of the chassis and gives the front of the car a new massiveness. Radiators and windshields are sloped and visorless header-panels, streamlined tops and air-foil apron at the rear, reduce wind resistance to a minimum. Bodies are insulated ~ against dirt, noise and outside temperatures.

"Into the interiors Rockne stylists have put refinements and conveniences rarely found in cars of their price class. Upholstery materials are rich in texture and are of hues that blend into the body color schemes. Seats are form fitting and unusually deep. Luxury type spring cushions are used.

"All models of the new Rockne Six are now in production and available to all dealers. The executive offices of Rockne Motors Corporation are in Detroit and the cars are also produced in that city.

"Rockne is also announcing its entry in the commercial car field in 1933 with the first showing of a new Rockne panel delivery car.

"The new unit is mounted on the famous Rockne Six chassis, which won immediate favor in leading markets in 1932. It is powered by the Rockne 70-horsepower motor, and possesses all the Rockne features such as free-wheeling, synchronized shift, motor floated in rubber mountings, aerodynamic design, automatic starting, electro-plated pistons, 

"The loading compartment has a capacity of 105 cubic feet, is panelled on the side and has an imitation leather headlining. Dimensions of , this compartment are length, 73 inches; width, 51 inches; height, 48 inches. The unit is designed for one-half ton capacity.


Camden
Courier-Post

October 1936

Click on Image to Enlarge


RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE