E. FISHER SR. was born in 116 to Samuel and Mary Fisher.
According to the 1920 Census, he was the fifth of six children
then at home, the elder children being Roland, Jennie K., Rosie,
and William, with younger sister Lillian then the baby of the
family. The Fishers live at 756 Sycamore
Street, literally a stone's throw from the Wesley
AME Zion Church. In 1920 Samuel E. Fisher's father was a
tailor and had his own shop.
E. Fisher attended Camden public schools, attending classes at
the James G. Whittier elementary school, Cooper B. Hatch Junior
High School, and Camden High School, where he graduated from in
1936. He played football and was starred on the basketball
court, playing varsity in his sophomore, junior, and senior
years. He attended Lincoln University and West Virginia State
College, and excelled on the court there as well, before
returning home to Camden.
the Census was taken in 1940, Samuel Fisher had wed. He and his
wife, the former Josephine Huff, were boarding at 760 Sycamore
Street, the home of John and Willamae Evans. Samuel
Fisher was then working at a cigar factory, very likely that at
South Sixth and Mechanic Street. Samuel E. Fisher was still
working at the cigar factory when he inducted into the United
States Army in Camden on February 16, 1943. Son Samuel
E. Fisher Jr. had already been born, and Josephine Fisher
was then carrying son Linwood
Fisher, who would arrive in September of 1943.
from returning from the Army, Samuel Fisher rejoined his family
in Camden. The 1847 City Directory shows the family living at
Village, and that he was working as a library clerk. There
is also a listing at 718 Van Hook Street for a Samuel E. Fisher,
student, and it is possible that he may have been listed twice.
In either event, student and library clerk would not become
Samuel E. Fisher's life's work. On April 1, 1947 he began
service with the Camden Fire Department, at Engine Company 1,
E. Fisher was quite active in Camden, as an officer and trustee
AME Zion Church, the Omega Psi Phi fraternity, whose Camden
chapter he was a founding member, and a number of firemen's
organizations. He was involved his church's move to its present
home at 701 Division
Street. The Fishers were living at 1820 South
10th Street in the mid and as late as February of 1959. By
1960 the family had moved to 1620 Kolo
Samuel E. "Joe-Boy" Fisher Jr., followed his father to
Camden High School and the basketball court. He was a vital part
of the 1959 and 1960 Camden High School basketball teams that
went undefeated and won consecutive state titles in those years.
Samuel E. Fisher Jr. also followed his father into the Camden
son Linwood Fisher served in the United States Army from January
1, 1965 to January 1, 1967, then returned to civilian life in
Camden. He was one of the seven men who passed the Civil Service
test in 1967. Linwood Fisher began his service on January 5,
1968, and retired on May 1, 2001.
E. Fisher Sr. passed away at the Veterans Hospital in
Philadelphia on July 31, 1971. He was buried at Sunset Memorial
Park in Pennsauken, New Jersey, survived by his wife and sons.
Josephine Fisher joined her husband on January 12, 1994.