CONRAD OTT was born Sylvius Conrad Ott in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on
July 30, 1868 to Abraham Ott and his wife the former Susannah Maria
Musick. He was the sixth of seven children, of which only two others
survived childhood, the oldest, Ida
Rebecca Ott Field (1857 - 1938), and the youngest, Frank
Charles Ott, who died while serving with the United States
Army as a storekeeper aboard the U.S.
Army Transport ship Grant
in the Philippines on January 31, 1900.
S. Conrad Ott married Mary
Anthony in Philadelphia in 1888.
S. Conrad Ott worked a
reporter for the Camden Post, then was hired by the Philadelphia Public
Ledger to cover Camden. His ability was recognized by John C. Harper
of the Camden Courier, who hired young Ott as a reporter in 1889. By
1891, still in his early twenties, S. Conrad Ott had been promoted to
city editor. He also wrote a column under the nom de
plume Connaught which was concerned with over the
road bicycling, a very popular pastime in the 1890s. He was involved
with the Camden chapter of the League of American Wheelmen, a group
that promoted bicycling, and was instrumental in getting a bicycle path
built on the Mt. Ephraim Pike (present-day Mount Ephraim Avenue and
Black Horse Pike).
The 1891 and 1892 Camden
City Directories show S. Conrad Ott boarding at 214
South 6th Street in Camden, where he was employed as an
editor for the Camden Courier. Directories from 1893 through 1895 give
his address as 810
North 6th Street and employment as City Editor. Directories
from 1896 through 1900 show that he had moved to 641
State Street and was still employed by the Courier as City
S. Conrad Ott, in the course
of his activities as a reporter, had spent a lot of time in court and
gained a good working knowledge of the law. He began studying and in
1899 was admitted to the bar. Directories from 1899 and 1901 show that
he had also become a lawyer, with an office at 418
S. Conrad Ott's career as a
lawyer quickly blossomed. He was appointed as a referee in bankruptcy
court, was considered for a judgeship, and served as president of
the Camden County Bar Association .
The 1900 Census shows S.
Conrad and Mary Ott had moved to an apartment at 515
Cooper Street. Also residing in that building was merchant Elmer Ellsworth Long.
They stayed their though at least 1903. City Directories from 1904
through 1907 give an address of 517
Cooper Street. In 1906