McCafferys were living in Camden in the 1870s. The 1878 City
Directory shows John McCaffery and his family living at 831 Mt.
Vernon Street in South Camden, which would be the
family home through 1887. The 1880 Census shows that the three
oldest McCaffery sons had gone to work in Camden's textile mills.
James and Michael worked as weavers, while Edward was then
employed as a spinner.
McCaffery married in 1881. The 1882-1883 City Directory and Camden
Fire Department records show that he lived at 1111 Sycamore
Street and worked as a weaver. This would remain his
home through the beginning of 1883. The 1883-1884 Camden City
Directory shows that he had moved to 904 Chestnut
Street and was worming as a weaver at the Camden Woolen Mills.
He was still at that address when the 1884-1885 edition was
compiled. The 1887-1888 Directory shows Michael McCaffery at 1109 Sycamore
Street. The 1890-1891 City Directory reveals that
Michael McCaffery had moved to 815 Carpenter
Street, where he remained until 1927.
1900 Census shows Michael McCaffery and his wife Anna living with
their children John, Thomas, Maria, and Beatrice at the Carpenter
Street address. John was then an accountant, while
Thomas worked as a butcher. Michael McCaffery was still working as
a weaver as late as 1918. By 1924 he was working as a watchman at
on of Camden's shipyards.
1929 City Directory shows the Michael and Anna McCaffery were
living with their daughter Beatrice and her husband Paul Frederick
at 732 Pearl Street. Anna McCaffery passed away on June 4, 1940.
McCaffrey passed away at his home at 732 Pearl Street on March 31,
1942, at the age of 83.
being a long standing member of the Cathedral
of the Immaculate Conception, Michael McCaffrey was for over
60 years a member of the Irish
fraternal organization known as the Ancient Order of Hibernians.
McCaffrey's sister, Mary Elizabeth, married Adam T. Davis Jr. in
1895. They operated a saloon at 140 Kaighn
Avenue from 1895 to 1900, then opened The
Palace, a saloon at 1101 Broadway.
Adam. T Davis Jr. died in 1912, his widow apparently operated the
business until Prohibition came into effect in 1919.