LOUIS MALINOWSKI was born in Philadelphia around 1906, the fourth of five children born to Wladislaw (Walter) and Mary Malinowski. His family moved to Camden when he was quite young, and he lived in Camden most of his life. The Malinowski family settled at 1023 Liberty Street, not far from St. Joseph Catholic Church, the heart of Camden's Polish-American community. At the time of the 1920 census the elder Malinowski worked as a machinist in a foundry, very possibly Camden Forge, which made parts for the nearby shipyards.
Louis Malinowski first appears as a bar owner in the Camden City Directories in 1943, when he was operating a tavern at 1251 Jackson Street. The next City Directory was published in 1947. By this time Louis Malinowski had acquired the building at 1501 Mount Ephraim Avenue, which he was operating as a bar. This establishment was known as Malin's Cafe.
Louis Malinowski lived above the bar with wife Hedwig and sons Louis and Francis until his death on February 24, 1959. He was the president of Malin's Fishing Club, a member of the Woodmen of the World, and a member of the New Jersey Beverage Association, a bar-owner's trade group.
Louis Malinowski was survived by his wife and sons; three grandchildren; his mother; a sister, Mrs. Helen Purzycki, and two brothers, Frank and Walter Malinowski.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE