Reed was appointed to the Camden Fire Department around 1886.
City Directories show him living at 1745 Fillmore Street in
1887. Fire Department records and the 1888-1889 City Directory
give his address as 1707 Fillmore Street. Joseph Reed served
with Engine Company 1. When the decision was made to place a new
engine company in service in Joseph Reed's neighborhood, he was
selected to be one of its charter members.
June 1, 1890 Engine
Company 3 of the Camden Fire Department went into service in its
newly build firehouse at 1813 Broadway. When
first organized, Engine Company 3 consisted of a Foreman, an Engineer, a Driver, and
first members of Engine Company 3 are as follows.
salaries for the members of the paid force in 1869 were $600 for
the Engineer, $450 for the Driver and the Stoker and $50 for the extra
men. All but the extra men were paid monthly. The Chief Marshall
received $800, and the Assistant Marshall $200 per year as well.
1890-1891 City Directory states that Joseph Reed was living at
422 Jasper Street. The 1891-1892 and 1892-1893 Directories have
him residing at 1612 Broadway. Joseph Reed resigned from the
Camden Fire Department in July of 1892. His resignation was
accepted by the Fire Commissioners on July 11, 1892.
1893-1894 and 1894-1895 City Directories show Joseph Reed had
gone back to work as a roofer. He was then living at 1810
Broadway. The 1895-1896 Directory has him living at 327 Walnut
Street and working as a roofer in Philadelphia. He was living at
428 Van Hook Street in 1896. In 1898 Joseph Reed was staying at
1125 Marion Street, and was partnering in a roofing firm called
Reed & Company at 428 Van Hook Street with George Reed.
Joseph Reed was still living at 1125 Marion Street when the
Census was taken in 1900. The 1906 City Directory has him living
at 273 Kaighn Avenue.
1900 Census indicated that Joseph Reed had remarried around
1891. Joseph Reed appears in the 1910 Census living in what was
then called Centre Township. He was by this time divorced. He
worked as a tinsmith at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. He was still
working at the Navy Yard in 1918. By that time he had returned
to Camden, staying at 101 Marlton Avenue in East Camden. By 1927
he had moved to 13 North 24th Street. He worked for a time as a
huckster. By 1930 he was working as a watchman. Joseph Reed
passed away in 1938.