John
T.
Garrity


JOHN THOMAS GARRITY was born in Pennsylvania on January 27, 1884 to John J. and Letitia Garrity. The Garrity family came to Camden in the 1890s, the elder Garrity working as a blacksmith in one of Camden's many shipyards. 

The 1906 City Directory shows the family was living at 2002 Broadway. John T. Garrity was living with his parents and was working as a laborer. The 1910 Camden City Directory shows the family at 1604 Broadway. 

The 1914 Camden City Directory shows John T. Garrity living with his parent at 1819 South 6th Street. John T. Garrity was then serving with the Camden Fire Department. By September of 1918 he had left the department to take a higher paying job as an electrician and wireman at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyard. A number of other Camden firefighters also left during this period to take defense jobs. When World War I ended and defense work began to subside, John T. Garrity was able to secure an appointment to the Camden Police Department.  


By February 5, 1920 the family had settled at 2515 Morgan Boulevard, in the Fairview section of Camden. John T. Garrity was still single and living with his parents and five of his siblings, older sister Elizabeth and younger children Edward, Thomas, Leo and Catherine.

John Garrity's first day as a member of the Camden police force on January 1, 1920. He first worked on horseback, as part of Camden's mounted police. He was promoted to sergeant in July of 1930, lieutenant in 1940, and to the rank of captain on June 30, 1944. During the last years of his career he was in charge of Camden's Third Police District.

Married to wife Marion, John T. Garrity remained at the Morgan Boulevard address, and their was at least one child, a son, John T. Garrity Jr., who later moved to Collingswood NJ.

Captain Garrity applied for his pension in July of 1950, a mandatory retirement at 65 law having been passed covering police and firemen. His last day on the police force was August 31, 1950, when he retired along with Captain Samuel E. Johnson, Detective Frank Crawford, and Patrolman Harry Stahl. John T. Garrity passed away in January of 1964.

John T. Garrity's younger brother, Edward Garrity was active in Republican politics, served twice as Camden's Director of Public Safety and one term as a member of the City Commission.

World War I Draft Card

Camden Courier-Post * October 16, 1931


Anna Rickowska*

Ash Can Girl 'Out' Again; Parents Held
Dad Who Took Her Rejoins Mother;
Anna Loses Home

Anna Rickowska* - 11-year-old child who lived for two weeks in an ash can has been driven from home again.

But Anna, profiling in a measure from her experience of only three days ago, will not sleep in an ash can this time.

She told her plight to Mrs. Louise F. Walsh, secretary of the Camden County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. Anna's mother and father are under arrest and will face the child today in police court.


     It was only three days ago that Judge Pancoast placed Anna in her father's care. Her mother, he was unfit to care for her. The child had accused her of being a habitual drunkard.

And Anna was pleased by the decision. Her eyes glistening, her blond tresses tumbling about her head, she joyfully walked from the courtroom with her dad- the man who promised to be good to her.

Anna soon was disillusioned. The father and mother, who had been estranged, took up their lives together again. The girl was taken back to the home at 1401 Rose Street, the home she had been ordered from more than two weeks before.

Things became even worse than before. In her story to Mrs. Walsh last night, Anna declared that added to the abuse of a drunken mother was that of her father, Ignatius.

And finally, on Wednesday night, her parents beat her and threw her from the house.

She went· to the home of an aunt, Mrs. Minnie Blake, of 1213 Lansdowne Avenue, who cared for her until last night when she again sought out her benefactor of a few days ago.

According to Sergeant John Garrity and Patrolman Edward Suski, the child's parents had been drinking last night.

Anna remained at the home of the aunt until today and Judge Pancoast will make another de­cision as to who shall have her custody.

* Correct Spelling is Raczkowski
** Correct address is 1402 Rose Street


Camden Courier Post
June 7, 1932

Roy R. Stewart - Charles T. Humes
Herbert Anderson - George Ward
Ralph Bakley - Edward Hahn
John Garrity - George Jefferis
James Wilson - Edward Carroll
John Skolski - Stiles Whitaker


Camden Courier-Post - August 26, 1941

Henry Magin Laid to Rest By War Veteran Buddies
TRUCKS OF FLOWERS IN FUNERAL CORTEGE

Funeral services for City Commissioner Henry Magin were held today with his colleagues in official and veterans circles participating.

Services were conducted in city commission chambers on the second floor of city hall, in charge of Rev. Dr. W.W. Ridgeway, rector of St. Wilfrid's Episcopal Church.

The casket was carried by war veteran associates of the public works director, who died from a heart attack Friday. A color guard from the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion preceded the casket, followed by the four remaining members of the city commission, Mayor George Brunner and commissioners E. George Aaron, Mrs. Mary W. Kobus and Dr. David S. Rhone.

A guard of honor lined both sides of' city hall steps, 22 policemen on one side and 22 firemen on the other, representing Magin's age, 44 years.

Hundreds of men and women waited outside the building to pay their respects as the solemn procession filed by. Mayor Brunner had declared this morning a holiday for city employees. The casket was borne by Thomas Jackson and Samuel Magill, both past Legion commanders; Leon McCarty, past commander of August Walter Chapter, Disabled American Veterans; Richard Jermyn, past commander of Post 1270, Veterans of Foreign Wars; Benjamin P. Thomas, past captain of Sparrow Ship No. 1269. V. F. W.; and William Miller, past State commander, D. A. V.  

Three trucks were required to carry the floral pieces from the scene of the services to the National Cemetery at Beverly, where burial took place.  

An estimated 8000 persons from all walks of life paid their respects to the late official by viewing the body as it lay in state in the commission chambers.

The throng of mourners of Camden city and county was the largest to converge on a public building since the funeral of Fire Chief Charles Worthington, who was killed while fighting a fire almost 20 years ago. His body was placed on public view in the rotunda of the old county courthouse.

File Past Bier  

A continuous progression of people filed past the flag draped bier for more than three and one-half hours. Scores of Republicans and hundreds of Democrats joined in the tribute.

Services were conducted by Camden lodges of Elks and Moose. Military rites were conducted by the Fairview Post, American Legion, of which Magin was a founder and past commander. The tribute was led by Mitchell Halin, post commander, and C. Richard Allen, past department commander. 

James W. Conner, chief clerk of the city water bureau and past State Commander of the V.F.W., conducted rites at the grave.  

Mayor Brunner and Commissioners Kobus, Aaron, and Rhone came early and remained throughout the hours of viewing. Mrs. Helen Magin, the widow, and daughter Helen, attired in deep mourning, arrived shortly after 7:00 PM.

Embraces Widow, Daughter  

Commissioner Kobus, who knelt in prayer before the bier, arose and went over to Mrs. Magin and her daughter. Mrs. Kobus embraced and kissed the widow and daughter of the late commissioner. They were in tears.  

Three firemen and three policemen maintained a vigil as a guard of honor. They were Patrolmen Jack Kaighn, George Weber, and William Deery and Firemen Arthur Batten, Warren Carter and William Reed.

American Legion and V. F. W. members in uniform alternated as members of the military guard of honor. A detail of 50 policemen was under command of Acting Lieutenant John Garrity. Fifty firemen, under supervision of Deputy Chief Walter Mertz, assisted the patrolmen in handling the crowd, which at times choked the stairways leading to the second floor.

Freeholders Arrive  

Albert H. Molt, director of the Board of Freeholders and Freeholders John J. Tull, Oscar Moore, Ventorino Francesconi, Stanley Ciechanowski, Earl Armstrong and Emil J. McCall arrived shortly after 7:00 PM. Moore and Tull wore American Legion overseas caps. Albert S. Marvel, clerk of the board, accompanied the freeholders.

Employees of the various bureaus in the department of public works, headed by Commissioner Magin, came in delegations with the highway bureau having 150, the largest number.  

Frank A. Abbott, acting director of the department, accompanied by James P. Carr, superintendent of Streets; led the highway bureau employees. Abbott is deputy director of revenue and finance and first assistant to Mayor Brunner. He was named by Brunner as acting director until the City Commission elects Mr. Magin's successor.

County Clerk Frank J. Suttill, City Clerk Clay W. Reesman, Fire Chief John H. Lennox and James A. Howell, chief of the city electrical bureau, attended, as did Albert Austermuhl, secretary of the board of education. Every city department sent a floral piece.

Outstanding Floral Tribute

Outstanding among the floral tributes was a six-toot broken circle of varied flowers, an offering from Mayor Brunner and Commissioners Kobus, Aaron, and Rhone.

A floral chair was sent by the Camden Police and Firemen’s Association. The word “Rest” was made up of flowers. The offering of the Veterans League of South Jersey, an organization formed by Commissioner Magin and of which he was the first president, was a large floral pillow.

The freeholders and county officials gave a large floral basket. Floral tributes came from the employees of the board of education, the RCA Manufacturing Company, the police and fire bureaus, Pyne Point Athletic Association, the Elks, Moose and several Democratic clubs.  

The floral tributes came in such numbers yesterday afternoon that Funeral Director Harry Leonard and his assistants could not find room for them in the commission chamber proper. They were banked on both sides, in the rear and over the casket.

Among prominent officials and citizens who came to pay their respects were Congressman Charles A. Wolverton and his son, Donnell, Assemblymen Joseph W. Cowgill and J. Frank Crawford, Sidney P. McCord, city comptroller, Thomas C. Schneider, president of Camden County Council No. 10, New Jersey Civil Service Association.

Others at Bier

Others were Sue Devinney, secretary to Mrs. Kobus; Fred S. Caperoon; Henry Aitken, city sealer of weights and measures, Horace R. Dixon, executive director of the Camden Housing Authority; George I. Shaw, vice president of the board of education.

Sgt. Ray Smith, chairman of the Elks Crippled Children Committee and commander of East Camden Post, V.F.W.; Albert Becker, commander of Camden County Post 126, Jewish War Veterans; Dr. Howard E. Primas and Wilbur F. Dobbins, members of the Camden Housing Authority; Postmaster Emma E. Hyland; Samuel E. Fulton, member of the Camden local assistance board.  

Also former Assemblyman Rocco Palese, former Freeholder Maurice Bart and wife, County Detective James Mulligan, Deputy City Clerk William D. Sayrs, Mary King, secretary to City Clerk Reesman, Charles W. Anderson and John W. Diehl Jr., former members of the housing authority, Walter P. Wolverton, chief clerk of the public works department; Thomas J. Kenney, Maurice Hertz, Isadore Hermann, chief of the city tax title bureau; S. Raymond Dobbs; acting chief of city property, John Oziekanski, building inspector, Harry Langebein, city assessor.

Oliver H. Bond, housing manager of Clement T. Branch Village; former Judge Joseph Varbalow, acting city counsel John J. Crean, assistant City Counsel Edward V. Martino, Paul Day, secretary of city board of assessors, former Assemblyman William T. Iszard, Harry Roye, district director of NYA; Victor J. Scharle and Martin Segal, Democratic and Republican registrars, respectively, of the Camden County permanent registration bureau.  

Mrs. Marian Garrity and Mrs. Mary F. Hendricks, vice chairman and secretary respectively, of the Republican City Committee; Dr, Ethan A. Lang and Dr. Richard P. Bowman, members of the board of education; Edward J. Borden, Carl Kisselman, Harry A. Kelleher, Samuel T. French Sr., former Freeholder Walter Budniak, Coroner Paul R. Rilatt, County Treasurer Edward J. Kelleher, William Shepp, of the city legal bureau, Marie Carr, stenographer, mayor's office; Samuel T. French Jr., member, board of education.

Also John C. Trainor, member of the Camden County Board of Elections; Antonio Mecca, funeral director; Alexander Feinberg, solicitor of the housing authority, former Freeholder John T. Hanson, Sterling Parker and Paul Reihman, member of the county park commission.  

James O’Brien, commander of the Camden Disabled American Veterans, was in charge of services by veterans at the cemetery. Former Freeholder Edward J. Quinlan, county vice-commander of the American Legion, directed last night memorial services and was in charge of the firing squad at the grave.  


World War II Draft Card

Camden Courier-Post - July 7, 1950
...continued...
Click on Image to Enlarge

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE