T. CLEMMENS was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on March 21, 1908 to
John and Lillian Clemmens. The 1920 Census found the Clemmens family,
which included sisters may, Winifred, Ruth, and Dorothy, living in
Laurel Springs NJ. The elder Clemmens worked as a shipyard inspector.
T. Clemmens wed at an early age. When the Census was taken in April of
1930 he was living with his wife Bertha and son John in Audubon NJ. He
was then working as a bread salesman.
T. Clemmens was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on September 10,
1941. He reported for duty at Engine
Company 10 on September 16, however, on September 22 he was
reassigned to Engine
Company 9 in East Camden.
On October 1, 1944 he was transferred to Ladder
Company 3, which operated then as today out of the fire house at Federal
27th Street. On September 22, 1946 he was again transferred, this
time to Engine Company
11 in Cramer Hill,
where he spent the rest of his career.
1947 Camden City Directory shows John and Bertha Clemmens
living at 360 South
27th Street in East
Camden. By 1956 they had moved to 933 North
36th Street in Cramer
T. Clemmens retired on pension on February 1, 1965. As he is not listed
in the 1970 and 1977 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directories, it would
appear that he moved away from Camden after his retirement.
a resident of Voorhees Township, New Jersey, he passed away on June 18,
1985, survived by his wife and son. Bertha Clemmens joined her husband