John
Morgan


 

JOHN MORGAN came to Camden from Philadelphia in 1841. A silver plater, he had established an extensive business in that line. 

John Morgan was appointed Mayor by City Council upon the death of John H. Jones on October 27, 1876. He served until March of the following year, when he was defeated for re-election by James W. Ayers

John Morgan's nephew, George H. Morgan, served as a member of the Camden Fire Department in 1872.


The History of Camden County New Jersey
George Reeser Prowell - 1886


The History of Camden County New Jersey
George Reeser Prowell - 1886

Silver Platers- The carriage factories gave employment to many silver-platers, some working for the manufacturers and others carrying on busi ness for themselves, and giving employment to others. Gordon states that there was a gold and silver-plater here in 1835, but the first establish ment of which there is authentic record was that of Gibson & Morgan Henry Gibson and John Morgan the latter mayor in 1876-77. Their works, started in 1841, were over the wagon-sheds built by Jacob Ridgway, in 1832, at Second and Arch. Gibson left the firm, and in 1845 Morgan removed the factory to a stable, fitted up for the purpose, on the rear end of a lot on Fourth Street, above Market, afterwards erecting a large brick building on the line of Fourth Street, since converted into dwellings. 

Among his workmen were his brother, George Morgan, now in the business at 52 North Second ; Edward Fitzer, now in the same trade in Philadelphia; George Welden, Charles Newmayer and others. The work was for volantes, used in Cuba, and the trade was exclusively with that island. As the correspondence was in Spanish, Newmayer, who from journeyman became manager and then partner, learned the language, to avoid the need of an interpreter. The firm employed as many as thirty at one time, and the employees testify that there was never a murmur about wages, even the apprentices receiving full pay for overwork, and the payments were not only prompt, but made in the best currency. The Rebellion (The Civil War -PMC) put a stop to the trade, and the firm, dividing a competency, dissolved. 

Edward Fitzer and George Morgan joined in business in the "fifties," with their establishment on Market Street, the site of Heibst's Hotel, but in a few years separated.


RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE