HUNTSMAN LUTTS was born on April 5, 1870 in New Jersey, to George
W. Lutts and his wife Anna. The 1880 Census shows the family on
Fillmore Street in Camden's Eighth Ward, and reveals George
Lutts worked as a printer. The family then included two
daughters, Mary and Sarah, and the George Lutts' mother lived
with them. The family remained in the Eight Ward into the
mid-1890s. The 1890-1891
City Directory shows both men at 566 Van Hook
Street. They both
had moved to the neighborhood of South 5th Street and
Avenue by 1896.
H. Lutts married Fannie E. Cavis around 1892. A daughter, Eva,
was born in January of 1895. 1896's City Directory states John
Lutts worked as a hosiery dyer and lived at 436 Bridge
The following year's directory gives an address of 523 Bridge
Avenue. The 1899 Camden City Directory shows that he and Fannie
lived at 422 Taylor
Avenue, and that he was employed in
Philadelphia as a dyer.
H. Lutts was appointed to the
Camden Fire Department later in 1899.
1900 Census shows the Lutts family at 110 South
5th Street, a short walk from his job at Fire Headquarters, North
5h Street and Arch
Streets. Fellow Camden Fire Department member David Andrews
lived at 104 South
5th Street, Camden
police officer Julius Bosch around the corner at 511 Mickle
Street, and city constable J.
Fred Voight at 527 Mickle
Street. On August 25, 1900 a son, John H. Lutts Jr., was
born. another son, Raymond, came later. The 1906 City
Directory shows John H. Lutts at 456 Clinton
December 17, 1909 John H. and Fannie Lutts were divorced. The
1910 Census, which was taken on April 18, 1910, shows John H.
Lutts, his daughter Eva, and the two younger children, John H.
Lutts Jr. and Raymond, living at 422 Taylor
Avenue. Their next-door neighbor was brother firefighter
Harry Hankins and his wife Sarah.
March 17, 1910 he was serving at Fire Headquarters, when a call came concerning a fire at the
Reeves Garage in the 100 block of North
7th Street. Shortly
in seen, gasoline in the building exploded. John
Lutts and future Chiefs of Department Peter
B. Carter and John H.
Lennox were slightly injured.
Directories show that John Lutts was promoted and made Captain at Engine
Company 6, Front and Linden Streets, by 1914. He was then
living at 528 Royden
Street. He served in
this capacity through at least 1929.
1918 John H. Lutts had remarried. He lived with his wife Sarah
and son Raymond at 306 South
5th Street, two doors away from Dr.
Wilson Gill Bailey, who resided at 302 South
5th Street. They we still there in 1920. By 1924, John and Sarah Lutts had
moved to 456 Royden
Street. They were still there when the Census was taken in
April of 1930. Next door at 458 Royden
Street was Camden policeman Nathan Pettit. Just a few
doors away, around the corner at 613 South
5th Street, lived another Camden firefighter, Leonard
Megee. Former Camden chief of police James
Tatem lived at 615 South
5th Street, and Albert Fogg, a clerk at Camden's City Hall,
resided at 617.
H. Lutts Sr. retired from the Camden Fire Department in 1933. He
and his wife Sarah had moved to 2025 Bryn Mawr in Haddon Heights,
New Jersey. Sarah Lutts apparently passed away in the early 1940s.
John Lutts had remarried by the time the 1943 Camden City
Directory was compiled.
H. Lutts Sr. died at his Haddon Heights home on April 28, 1953.
He was survived by his children and a third wife, Mary W. Lutts.