John Cooper


John Cooper

Photo published in 1886

Click on Image to Enlarge

JOHN COOPER was born in Woodbury NJ in 1814 to William and Sarah Cooper. He was a descendant of the original William Cooper who came to NJ and for whom Cooper's Point and the Cooper River are named. 

After marrying Mary M. Kaighn in 1843 he opened a grocery store on what is now Kaighn Avenue. In 1845 he opened up the first coal yard in Camden, south of Federal Street. This business soon migrated back to Kaighn Avenue, and was quite successful. Located at 32-34 Kaighn Avenue, it was known as Cooper, Stone & Co., and traded in coal, wood, and hardware for over forty years. The business was carried on into the 1920s by John Cooper's son William J. Cooper.

John Cooper was also a director for many years of the Kaighn's Point Ferry, and was one of the principal organizers and first presidents of the Camden National Bank. With his first wife, Mary M. who passed in 1880, he was among the co-founders of the West Jersey Orphanage for Destitute Colored Children. 

In the early 1880s John Cooper purchased ground in the 600 block of Cooper Street, and built a home at 633 Cooper, in which he lived until his passing in 1894 with his second wife, C. Louisa Gibberson Cooper, and his sons Howard M. Cooper, a prominent attorney, and William J. Cooper.

John Cooper retired around 1890. He passed away on April 18, 1894. 


The History of Camden County, NJ, by George Reeser Prowell, 1886.
Click on Images to Enlarge


RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE