CHEW was appointed to the Camden Fire Department as an extra
man with Engine Company 1 on April 8, 1877, taking the place of
He was reappointed on April 8, 1878 as an extra man wit the Hook
& Ladder Company, replacing Benjamin
Cavanaugh. John Chew resigned from his position with the
Fire Department on May 23, 1878 and was replaced by William
Chew worked as stone cutter when not responding to fire alarms.
He was living at 1004 South
4th Street when appointed to the Fire Department in 1877 and at 1006 South
4th Street when reappointed the following year.
John H. Chew is listed in the 1878-1879 City Directory, working
as a stonecutter and living at 568 Line
Street. He does not appear the 1880 Census or later City
John H. Chew did live and work in Camden in the 1880s and 1890s,
however, he did not live in South Camden nor did he work as a
stone cutter or any related trade.
TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE