CLAY WADE was born in Philadelphia in 1882 to George B. Wade,
who had married Mary Ann
Burns in March of 1879 in Philadelphia. The Wades came to Camden in 1885,
George B. Wade then was working as a sheet metal worker.
George B. Wade was
appointed a city fireman on March 16, 1892. George B. Wade
was made Captain of Engine Company 2 at 5th and Arch
Street in 1899. At that time he was living with his wife and children at 1323 Broadway.
The family had moved to 503 Spruce Street by 1910. During the mid 1910s
his son, George Clay Wade, was appointed to the Camden Fire Department. George B. Wade
was made battalion chief in 1924, and also served as the city fire
marshal before his January 1, 1928 retirement.
C. Wade was single and working as a steamfitter when the 1914
City Directory was compiled. He was then living with his
parents. Shortly after the Directory's compilation George C.
Wade married Adelaide M. "Addie" Powell. A
son, George Byron Wade
III was born in Camden, New Jersey on January 8, 1915.
By the summer of 1918 George C. Wade had been appointed to the
Department. When he registered for the draft in September of 1918,
George Wade and family were
living at 1441 Broadway. By January of 1920 they had moved to 924 South
5th Street where they stayed with Adelaide's parents. His neighbors included Mayor Charles
H. Ellis, stationary store owner
Charles Devaull, and City Clerk William
D. Brown, who all lived in the 900 block of South 5th
Street. Father George B. Wade lived around the corner at 503 Cherry
Street in South
Camden. The 1924 City
Directory has George C. Wade and family at 1436 Broadway, and the 1929 edition shows them at
461 Mechanic Street, where they stayed as late as 1931. During the early
1930s George C. Wade and his
family moved to 513 Chestnut
C. Wade retired from the Fire Department on April1, 1935. His
father, George B. Wade
died on August 29, 1935 and was buried at Arlington Cemetery in Pennsauken NJ. His
mother joined him in 1952.
The Wades were at 1244
Street in the early 1940s, and not long after George
C. Wade registered for the draft
in the spring of 1942, moved to 3007 Congress Road in Fairview. The
Wade's were at this address when George
B. Wade III was appointed to the
Camden Fire Department on September 23, 1942. George C. Wade had been
working at the Camden Forge Company's plant in South Camden. He
later worked as a guard for the Wickes Construction Company. George
C. Wade passed away on July 29, 1960 and was buried at New Camden
Cemetery, next to his wife, who had passed in 1957.
George B. Wade III had worked as a clerk at one of the many A&P grocery
stores in Camden for seven years, spent four months in then United
States Navy in 1941, then worked for a year with his father at the
Camden Forge Company before being appointed to the Fire Department. He
reported for duty with Engine Company 1 on October 1st, and stayed there
until January 15, 1951 when he was transferred to Engine Company 9,
where he remained for exactly six months. On June 16, 1951 George
B. Wade III began a term of service at Engine
Company 3 at 1815 Broadway.
On May 6, 1963 he was sent to Fire Communications. His
last assignment began on November 8, 1965 when he was assigned to the
Fire Marshall's office. He retired on pension on July 1, 1975 after 32
years and 2 months service, only to pass away on July 3, 1975. Fire
Department records indicate that he was still residing on Congress
at the time of his passing.