HALL was born
in Pennsylvania about 1875. He married around 1899. His wife Emma bore
three children, two of whom were living in 1910.
1906 City Directory calls him a driver, and gives his address as 811 Mount
Vernon Street. When the Census
was taken in 1910 Fred Hall was living with wife Emma and sons William
R. and Archibald L. at 719 Chestnut
Street. He was working at an oilcloth factory.as an oilmaker.
Brother-in-law George L. Ross also lived at that address.
Hall was appointed to the Camden Fire department shortly after the
Census was taken in April of 1910 and was assigned to the
Company 8 - PMC]
Company operating out of the firehouse at 609 Kaighn
June of 1912, Hook & Ladder 2
Company 8 - PMC]
responding first due to an alarm at Third and
Liberty Streets, South Camden. Both companies turned west on
horses at a full gallop. At the comer of Broadway, a traffic cop
attempted to stop a motorized truck to clear the street for
responding apparatus. At the last moment, the commercial truck's
brakes failed to halt the vehicle as it rolled across the
2's driver pulled hard on the reins and
stopped short to avoid a collision. A terrific crash was heard as
the Chemical Engine ran into the rear of the ladder company.
Fireman Fred Hall, the driver of Chemical Company 2 sustained leg
injuries while pinned under the crushed dashboard. Fireman Harry
Haines, the ladder company tillerman was also injured in the
jarring collision. Both horses of the Chemical Engine were
seriously hurt, Ellis with a large gaping hole tom in its flank
when the end of a ladder was shoved into the animal requiring
seven big stitches to close. The mate was skinned and cut along
its entire side. Both steeds were removed to the veterinary
hospital for treatment.
Hall passed away on August 6, 1913. He had been ill for several
weeks. Services were held at his residence, 807 Mount
Vernon Street. His wife and children were still at that
address when the 1914-1915 City Directory was compiled. Mrs. Hall
and her sons had moved to 906 Broadway
by the fall of 1918 and remained there into the 1920s.
TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE