1890 they had relocated to 1051 Ferry
Avenue, a home at the corner of Ferry
Mulford Street. Mrs. Chambers operated a boardinghouse there
until her passing in November of 1895.
Chambers learned the shoemaker's trade as a young man. The 1887
City Directory shows that he was working for Edward A. Richardson.
He is listed in the 1892 Directory at 2022 Broadway,
but returned to his mother's home on Ferry
Avenue prior to the compilation if the 1893 edition.
Chambers married his wife Lizzie around 1893. A son, Francis D.
Chambers Jr., was born on August 13, 1896. Another child, daughter
Elizabeth, was born shortly before the 1910 Census.
Chambers and his family stayed at 1051 Ferry
Avenue into 1898. The 1899 City Directory shows that they had
moved to 1934 Fillmore
Street, and the 1900 and 1901 Directories show him at 561 Van
Hook Street. All through these years Frank Chambers worked as
the time the 1902 City Directory was compiled, Frank
Chambers had been appointed to the Camden Fire Department. The
1902 Directory gives his address as 557 Van
Hook Street. From 1903
through 1906 they were at 568 Ferry
Avenue. The 1907 edition gives an address of 1822 Fillmore
Street. The family was
on 571 Van
Hook Street from 1908
through 1911, at 1606 Fillmore
Street from 1912
July 29, 1915 Chief of Department John
Stockton retired. Deputy Chief Peter
B. Carter was promoted to Chief, William
W. Patterson was made Deputy Chief, and Thomas
J. Nicholas, who had been Captain of Engine
Company 3, was promoted to Battalion Chief. The promotions
took effect October 1, 1915. By thattime Frank Chambers had been
selected to take over as Captain of Engine Company 3.
the time the 1916 City Directory was compiled, Frank Chambers and
family had moved to 1645 Broadway.
1920 Census shows that Frank and Lizzie Chambers were still living
at 1645 Broadway
with their two children, and also were renting lodging to August
F. Haverkamp, a young
electrical worker at the nearby New York Shipbuilding Corporation
shipyard. The Chambers' had known Haverkamp as a boy on Van
F. Haverkamp was
appointed to the Camden Fire Department in November of 1920.
after the Census was taken in January of 1920, Frank Chambers and
his family moved to 2013 Arlington
Chambers was still working for the Camden Fire Department when he
died, on April 25, 1923.