Edward
Finley


 

EDWARD F. FINLEY was born in Pennsylvania in July of 1874 Edward and Susan Finley.

The 1878 City Directory lists Edward Finley, a porter, at 1207 Kaighn's Alley. Kaighn's Alley was renamed Pavonia Street shortly after the Directory was compiled. The 1880 Census shows the Finley family at 1207 Pavonia Street, just off of Kaighn Avenue between South 2nd Street and South 3rd Street. Besides you Edward there was an older brother, John J. Finley. The Finleys apparently moved back to Philadelphia after the Census.  

Edward Finley, the subject of this web-page, first appears in Camden City Directories in the 1894-1895 edition. He was working as a brass finisher in Philadelphia, and making his home at 542 South 2nd Street in Camden. He is listed at that address in the 1895-1896 Directory as well.

Edward Finley married Alfreda "Freda" Hughes around 1895. She was the daughter of George F. Hughes, of 204 Beckett Street, a painter. The young couple made their home at the Beckett Street address with Freda's parents. A daughter, Marie, was born in August of 1896.

The 1897, 1898, and 1899 Directories show Edward Finley and wife Freda living at 204 Beckett Street. He worked as a painter in these years. The 1900 Census shows the Finley and the Hughes families still at 204 Beckett Street. Edward Finley had by this time returned to work as a brass finisher. Edward Finley, his wife, daughter, and in-laws were still at this address as late as 1910.

Edward Finley was appointed to the Camden Fire Department in December of 1904 with the expectation that he would begin work in January when the Engine Company 5 firehouse at 1401 Federal Street was due to be completed. This did not happen as scheduled and he did not go into service until the following year. He began working with Ladder Company 1 on July 1, 1905 along with Harry Green. The two men worked side by side for the next nine years.

In the early morning houses of January 30, 1912 fire struck North Camden. The blaze began on the first floor of a factory building at the Camden Gelatin Company at Fifth Street and the Delaware River, North Camden. This business, owned by Maurice and Paul Adolf Kind, was later renamed 

Box 14 at Fifth and Erie Streets was pulled, also accompanied by a phone alarm. Flames lit up the night sky as second and third alarms were transmitted in rapid succession. Frozen hydrants seriously hampered arriving engine companies and firemen built bon fires under the hydrants to thaw them while other hydrants were sought. At least a dozen master streams surrounded the fire. Collapsing walls produced severe flying embers that started a blaze in the machine shop at the Camden Ship Yard and a third fire in the Troth Warehouse. Fireman Edward Finley of Hook & Ladder Company 1 was overcome by heavy smoke and removed from the scene unconscious. He was transported to West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital where he was revived. By 2 A.M., fire fighters had the fire under control. The gelatin plant consisted of an office building and two, two-and-one-half-story factory buildings, all destroyed in the fire. Engine Company 4 remained at the scene until the afternoon, wetting down the smoldering ruins. The business was rebuilt, and in 1916 became known as Kind and Knox, and in 1955 simply as Knox Gelatine Company.

Edward Finley missed roll call on February 10, 1914. He was recorded as absent due to sickness until his death on March 5, 1914. George Hollns was transferred from Ladder Company 3 to replace Finley at Ladder Company 1 on March 11, 1914. Before the month of March ended, Charles Smith was appointed to the Camden Fire Department as a replacement for Edward Finley.

Edward Finley's widow Alfreda was living at 608 South 3rd Street when the 1914-1915 Camden City Directory was compiled. She is not listed in 1918-1919 Directory.


Philadelphia Inquirer
December 4, 1904
Martin Carrigan
Rollo Jones
Charles Cook
James White
Samuel Sheer
Edward Finley
Joseph Daly
Joseph Ernst
Seth D. Monnell
William K. Buzine
Charles Sturgis
Samuel T. Whitezell
Ephraim T. Davis
J. Oscar Till Jr.
John H. Vickers
Frederick Morse
Harry C. Anderson
William Miller
Engine Company 5

Philadelphia Inquirer
April 22, 1905

Charles Cook
James White
Harry C. Anderson
Edward Finley
Martin Carrigan
James Willis
Harry Green
Seth D. Monnell
William K. Buzine
Charles Sturgis
William Miller
Samuel T. Whitezell
Ephraim T. Davis
J. Oscar Till Jr.
John H. Vickers

Frederick Morse


Philadelphia Inquirer - March 26, 1914

Joseph Nowrey
Charles McElhone
George N. Cook
O. Glen Stackhouse
Charles Smith
Edward Finley
Stevens Street
Daniel Burns
South 4th Street
Mt. Ephraim Avenue
Sheridan Street
John Shimski
William H. Day
Guarantee Realty Co.


Hook & Ladder Company No.1
with new 1914 American LaFrance 75', 4 cyliner aerial ladder, in front of Fire Headquarters

From Left: tillerman Bill Tatem, firemen Edward Finley, Charles Gladney, and Harry Green, Lt. Harry Anderson,
Firemen
George Hollins and Steward Bakley, Captain Joseph Maxwell, and driver Harry Burroughs

RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE