Edward
E.
Peraria Sr.


EDWARD EARLY PERARIA SR. was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on September 3, 1884 to Frank and Ellen Peraria. The 1910 Census shows him living with his parents, wife Frances and brother Frank in Philadelphia. By September of 1918 Edward Peraria had moved to Camden. He and his family were living at 319 Birch Street in North Camden.

The 1920 Census shows Edward and Francis Peraria and their children Edward Jr. and Francis living at 232 Main Street in North Camden. He was working as a plumber. The family was still living at that address as late as 1930. By the time the 1940 Camden City Directory was compiled the family had moved to 2927 Mickle Street in East Camden.

Edward E. Peraria was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on November 29, 1920. He reported for duty with Engine Company 6 at Front and Linden Streets. On August 27, 1935 he was transferred to Engine Company 7. He returned to Engine 6 on October 19, 1925. On March 27, 1927 he was transferred to Engine Company 4. On 

April 16, 1928 he again was transferred, this time to Engine Company 9, where he was remained through April 28, 1935 when he was sent to Engine Company 2 to serve as District Chief's Aide. In addition to his duties as a firefighter, Edward E. Peraria Sr. also was employed by the city to perform plumbing maintenance at police and fire facilities from 1928 to 1944.

On January 1, 1950 Edward Peraria Sr. was sent to Ladder Company 3. Having reached the age of of mandatory retirement, he was detailed to Commissioner E. George Aaron's office on November 1, 1951. Edward E. Peraria Sr. retired on pension February 29, 1952. Edward Peraria was still a Camden resident when he passed away on June 30, 1966.


World War I Draft Card


John Voll, Edward Peraria, Howard Gick, Captain Eli Hunt and George Townsend, firefighters from Engine Company 9, based on Twenty-seventh Street, take a moment together following a fire on a rainy night in December 1928, seen here in the first row from left to right. The blaze involved the offices of Leon E. Todd at 2623 Westfield Avenue. Todd was a realtor who helped develop Medford Lakes.


World War II Draft Card


 



RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE