Andrews was born in New Jersey around 1833. He was living in
Camden's North Ward with his wife Anna and working as a
tobacconist when the 1860 Census was enumerated.
the 1870 Census was taken, Edward Andrews, his wife Anne, and
children Abner, Thaddeus, and Sallie lived in Camden's Middle
Ward where Edward Andrews worked as a cigar maker. Boarding with
the Andrews was John
Wesley Yates, 1870. Another child, Ulysses G. Andrews, was
born shortly after the census was taken.
1880 Census reveals that Edward Andrews was then a widower. He
was still living at 109 South
5th Street and working as a cigar maker. His three youngest
children were still living with him.
Andrews continued to work as a cigar maker into 1888. He was
still living at 109 South
5th Street when the 1890-1891 City Directory was compiled.
He then worked as a watchman. Edward S. Andrews died on January
15, 1890 and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Camden.
Andrews was a member of a number of fraternal organizations in
Camden, among them the Order of United American Mechanics, the
Seven Wise Men, the Independent Order of Mechanics, and the
Council, No. 7, of the Order of United American Mechanics was
instituted July 29, 1847, when John R. Thompson, William
Rianhardt, Robert P. Smith, Shelbourne S. Kennedy, David Surran,
William P. Murphy, William C. Monroe, Charles M. Thompson, John
S. Long, William A. Davis, Charles S. Sturgis, Wesley P. Murray
and Richard Jones met in Starr's Hall, and were constituted as
Camden Council, No. 7, by State Councilor James Cappuck and
State Council Secretary George S. Willits. They soon removed to
Bontemps' Hall, and many years afterward to United Order of
American Mechanics' Hall, where they now meet. Camden was the
oldest council of the order in the city, and exercised large
influence in the State, and furnished, among many others, these
State Councilors, — John S. Read, William D. Middleton and Edward T.
James. The officers in 1886 were as follows: Junior Ex-Councilor, Edwin A. Stone ;
Councilor, Thaddeus B. Andrews; Vice-Councilor, Joseph B.
Elfreth; Recording Secretary, A. Benjamin Sparks ; Financial
Secretary, Joseph L. Bright ; Treasurer, Abner Sparks ;
Inductor, F. W. Armstrong ; Examiner, James H. Armington ;
Inside Protector, Merrit H. Pike ; and Outside Protector, Ballinger
Seven Wise Men. The Kearney Conclave, No. 1, Heptasophs (or
Seven Wise Men), was organized in Test's Hall, October 15, 1869,
when George P. Oliver, of Maryland, Supreme Chancellor; Dr. G.
Jennings, Supreme Ephor, of Pennsylvania, and others, initiated
and installed these members and officers: A., Harry H. Franks;
C, S. C. Hankinson; Pro., Charles H. Cook; R. S., Theodore F.
Higbee; F. S., Charles
M. Baldwin; T., D. W. Neall; I. G., James E. Carter; H.,
Caleb H. Taylor; W., David
B. Sparks; S., Wm. Acton; Wm. Higbee, Wm. Darby, Henry
Hollis, Frank Rawlings, Samuel K. Batchelor, Isaiah Morton, John
D. Mahoney, Samuel Pine, George Parson, Benjamin F. Richards,
George W. Williams, Absalom Dougherty, Henry Rhinehart, Wm. H.
McKee, S. R. Hankinson, John Laning, Richard Bozarth, Alexander
Simpson, Nathan Jacobs and William Middleton.
Independent Order of Mechanics, Enterprise Lodge, No. 3, was
instituted January 1, 1883, in Lincoln Hall, with these officers
: P. W. M., Ellis W. Woolverton ; W. M., John R. Grubb; J. 51.,
Charles L. Bennett; S., Solon R. Hankinson ; F. S., Jacob F. Morton ; T., George E. Boyer. The
charter members were Ellis W. Woolverton, Charles L. Bennett,
George E. Boyer, Edward S. Andrews,
J. Harrison Lupton, Baxter Howe, H. C. Thoman, J. S. Casto,
George W. Wood, J. P. Becket, Samuel Pine, J. L. Fields, O.K.
Lockhart, Thomas Taunier, S.W. Gahan, C. T. Green, Jacob Garst,
Charles W. Keen, A. D. Higbfield, H. S. Casto, Charles Walton,
William C. Reeves, John R. Grubb, Solon R. Hankinson, William A.
Holland, Daniel Nelson, Jacob F. Morton, James M. Way, Joseph B.
Wakeman, Charles Mason, E. Hayden, R. J. Long, William Thompson,
Stacy Nevins, John Sheldon, George Rianhard, Charles B. Fithian,
John W. Garwood, William H. Sommers, Isaac Budd, Harris A.
Glover, C. M. Limroth, Charles Reeves, Benjamin
H. Connelly and Franklin Hewitt. The lodge met Friday
evenings, in Association Hall, Third and Market; in 1886 had one hundred and ninety-seven members, with a
reserve fund of nine hundred dollars. Its Past Masters are E. W.
Woolverton, J. R. Grubb, C. L. Bennett, S R. Hankinson, G. E. Boyer, W. A. Hallam,
Edward S. Andrews,
J. H. Lupton, J. F.Morton, Baxter Howe, J. E. Way, S. C. Hankinson, W. J. Bruehl, E. U. West, H. L. Sanders, Frank
Hewitt, W. Willits and William Dougherty. The officers in 1886
were S. J\I., William Dougherty; W. M., Lewis McDowell ; J. M.,
Frederick Bechtell ; S., James M. Way; F. S., Daniel
Whittecar ; T., Thomas Hines.
Andrews grandson, Harry D. Andrews, the son of Ulysses G.
Andrews, served as a member of the Camden Fire Department in the
1920s, 1930s, and 1940s.