Edmund
S.
Carmany.


 

EDMUND S. CARMANY was born around 1862 to Cyrus Phillipi Carmany and his wife, the former Adaline Stoeber, most likely in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. By 1868 the family had relocated to the 455 Spring Street in the Roxborough section of Philadelphia Pennsylvania where Cyrus Carmany found work in a dye works. The 1880 Census shows Cyrus Carman and sons John H. and Edmund employed at the dye works, and younger children Mary, George, Harry, Alema, William, and Bessie. The family then lived at 366 Green Lane in Roxborough. 

The 1886 Philadelphia City Directory shows that Cyrus P. Carmany was by then a principal in a dye works near the Wissahickon Creek, where he and father and James Boone were partners in an enterprise known as Carmany & Boone. In 1887 Cyrus Carmany acquired the buildings and land formerly occupied by Wood & Haslam, manufacturers of table cloths, and established a dye works in Camden, New Jersey at 757-759 Cherry Street, with land that extended to Spruce Street and to South 8th Street that traded as Wissahickon Dye Works. Older brother John H. Carmany moved to Camden to oversee the new operation. The dye house was destroyed by fire on December 7, 1887. Cyrus Carmany was insured and soon rebuilt the facility. 

Edmund S. Carmany came to Camden to work at the Wissahickon Dye Works in the 1890s. He first appears in City Directories in 1892. He is listed at 764 Pine Street in 1892 and 1893. The 1900 Census indicates that he had wed around 1885. From 1895 through 1902 he and his wife Isabella are listed at 836 Newton Avenue, where Division Street intersects with Newton Avenue. Edmund S. Carmany was still employed at the dye works in these years. By the time the 1903 Directory was compiled he and wife Isabella, who first appeared in City Directories in 1899, had gone into the bar business at 526 Kaighn Avenue. The Carmanys, who were childless, remained their into 1912 before moving to 460 Kaighn Avenue. This was  prime location, right next door to George R. Danenhower & Son's wholesale grocery business which stood on the southwest corner of Broadway and Kaighn Avenue. 

Isabella Carmany passed on January 18, 1919, possibly a victim of the Spanish Flu pandemic that ravaged Camden beginning in the fall of 1918. She was buried at Harleigh Cemetery in Camden. Edmund Carmany lived at and did business at 460 Kaighn Avenue through 1926, according to City Directories. He does not appear in the 1927 City Directory or the 1930 Census and most likely had moved or passed away, as others were in business at 460 Kaighn Avenue after 1926.

Older brother John H. Carmany became heavily involved in Camden politics after moving to the city. He served on the Board of Education in the 1890s and 1900s and on City Council from 1903 until his death in December of 1910.

Nephew John H. Carmany Jr. served as member of the Camden Fire Department from 1910 through 1916, then worked as a machinist. He passed away in 1945. Harry Carmany died in 1981.

1906 Sanborn Map showing 526 Kaighn Avenue
526 Kaighn Avenue was a two-story frame-built building
with a brick front section

1906 Sanborn Map showing 526 Kaighn Avenue
460 Kaighn Avenue was a two-story frame-built twin building

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 21, 1919

 

RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE