JOHN DeFRANCISCO JR., known to his brother firefighters simply
as John DeFrancisco, was born in 1928 to E. John DeFrancisco Sr.
and his wife, the former Sarah Toms. The family, which included
older sister Jane, lived at 2924 Constitution
Road in Fairview as early as April of 1930 and as late as
1943. It appears that they moved that year to 2861 Idaho
Road in Fairview, and they were definitely there by 1947. In
the 1940s E, John DeFrancisco Sr. served as a clerk with
Camden's Board of Assessors then went on to a successful career
in the real estate business in Camden.
DeFrancesco Jr. began his service with the Camden Fire
Department in December
of 1959, coming into the department to replace Captain John
Henson, who passed away the previous September. He served
Company 3 in the early 1960s, then was transferred to Rescue
Company 1, where he may have served as acting Captain. In
the early 1970s he worked at Ladder
Company 3 in East Camden. John DeFrancisco was
promoted to captain on January 21, 1977.