BROMLEY was appointed to the Camden
Fire Department as an extra man
Company 1 on April 5, 1882. He replaced Solomon
Clark. Daniel Bromley served for two years, then was
replaced in turn by John
Collins. Daniel Bromley was the first
of three brothers to serve with the Camden Fire Department. He
was followed by his brothers Joseph Bromley and Wilson
Bromley was born in New Jersey in October of 1855 to Joseph
Bromley and his wife Anna Eliza. Joseph Bromley supported his
family working as a boilermaker. The family was living in
Camden's South Ward by 1860. When the Census was taken there
were four children at home, Joseph Jr., Wilson, Daniel, and
Emma. The Bromley's were still in the South Ward in April of
1870, sadly, Emma had died, but another daughter, Elizabeth, had
been born around 1862.
The 1878-1879 Camden City Directory shows Daniel Bromley living
with his parents and brother Joseph Jr. at 639 Spruce Street in
South Camden. Older brother Wilson had moved out and was living at
Street. The 1879-1880 Directory shows Daniel Bromley
living at 638 Division
Street. Joseph Bromley is also listed, the
directory, however, does not mention if it is the father or the
son, however the 1880 Census indicates that both were living at
Bromley married in late 1878 or early 1879. The June 1880 Census
shows Daniel Bromley, his wife Emma, and their 10 month old son
Charles living at 425 Walnut Street. Their next-door neighbors at
427 Walnut Street were the John Guthridge family, sons William
Guthridge, and Richard Guthridge all worked in
various government positions in the ensuing years.
1881-1882 Camden City Directory shows Daniel Bromley at 616 Division
Street, and his parents at 638 Division Street. The
1883-1884 Directory shows Daniel Bromley at 636 Division
Street and his parents at 638. Daniel Bromley worked at the John H.
Dialogue shipyard in these years. The 1884-1885 Directory shows
Daniel Bromley and his parents and brother Joseph at 571 Division
Street. By the next year Daniel Bromley was living at 569 Division
Street, next door to his parents at 571 Division
1887-1888 and 1888-1889 Directories show Daniel Bromley at 518 Division
Street. He was working as a laborer in 1887. The
1888-1889 edition gives his occupation as transfer clerk for the
West Jersey Railroad. His parents had by this time moved to 827
South 6th Street.
1890-1891 Directory shows Daniel Bromley living at 507 Line
Street. He was working with his father at the R.D. Wood Foundry. He was
living at 620 Line
Street in 1891 and at 642 Line
Street in 1893.
1897 City Directory seems to indicate that Daniel Bromley and his
wife may have parted ways. Daniel Bromley was working as a mail
agent for the Pennsylvania Railroad and was living at 827 South
6th Street with his parents. Emma Bromley is listed at 405 Taylor
Avenue as "widow of Daniel".
Bromley was still residing with his parents at 827 South
6th Street when the Census was taken in 1900 and still working as a
mail agent. He moved to 1503 South
10th Street at some point after
the Census, the home of his brother-in-law, Alvin Wilke.
September 1, 1904 Daniel Bromley died at home. He was buried at
Bromley was a member of the Fraternal
Order of Eagles, the Camden Mutual Association, and of Sioux Tribe No. 25 of the Improved
Order of Red Men. James
P. Shinn and George
Adam Tenner, who were appointed to the Camden Fire Department
at the same time Daniel Bromley was, were also member of Sioux
Tribe No. 25. George Reeser Prowell, in his History of
Camden County, New Jersey, published in 1886, wrote the following
about this organization:
Sioux Tribe, No. 25, was instituted in Wildey
Hall, March 2:J, 1871, by Great Sachem John E. Cheeseman, with members of Sioux Tribe,
Philadelphia, who presented them with a set of tomahawks, still in use. The
officers were: .S., Silas
Letchford; S. S., John A. Parker; J. S., John
Fox ; C. of N., F. W. Wilson ; K. of W., David C.
Vannote; Prophet, Theodore L. Parker. The
Past Sachems are Silas Letchford, James Broughton, Aaron Hand, William T. Mears, William F.
Mason, Samuel H. Deal, .Sr., .lohn H. Mason, W.
E. Campbell, Charles H. Hagelman, Henry F.
Snyder, George A. Tenner, Isaac King, Theodore
L. I'arker, l)avid B. Peterson, John B. Wright,
William Hagelman, James Barton, Edward B.
Chew, George W. Kleaver, J.P.R. Carney, James
C. Mason, Edward A. Martin and .John Barrett.
The officers for 1886 are: S., James G. Smith ; .S.
S., Franklin H. Drake; J.S., Daniel England; P.,
J.P. R. Carney; C. of R.. John P. Wright;
.Assistant C. of R., David B. Peterson. The tribe
has a membership of two hundred and ninety-three,
and a reserve fund of $455.76.