CLARENCE B. PHIFER was born in New Jersey on October 24, 1900 to Charles S. and Sarah Phifer. The family was living at 329 Chestnut Street when the 1900 census was taken. The family moved to Haddon Township not long afterwards and did not com back to Camden until after the outbreak of World War I. The 1920 Census shows him working as a printers apprentice, and living with his parents, older brother Wallace Phifer, older sister Emma Phifer, and nephew Clayton Phifer at 1221 Atlantic Avenue in Camden. His father and brother were working as carpenters in one of Camden's shipyards. By the time the 1921 City Directory was compile the family had moved to 1217 Atlantic Avenue

Clarence Phifer was an excellent baseball player, starring locally in Camden's busy semi-pro baseball scene and playing for a time professionally in the minor leagues. In 1922 he played for the Newport News Shipbuilders in the Virginia team. He had a tryout in 1923 with the Richmond Colts of the same league but was released on April 11, 1923. 

When not playing baseball in the early 1920s, Clarence Phifer worked as a printer. Brother Wallace Phifer was appointed to the Camden Fire Department at shortly after the January 1920 Federal Census. Clarence Phifer was appointed to the Camden police department around the same time. The first listing In City Directories for Clarence Phifer as a police officer is in the 1924 Directory. It is likely that his appointment came shortly after his return to Camden from Richmond, Virginia. 

The 1924 and 1927 City Directories show both brothers in the City of Camden's employ, and both living at 1217 Atlantic Avenue. Wallace Phifer married Edith Peters in 1922. By 1926 Clarence Phifer had married. The City Directory for that year shows him and wife Anna at 1085 Morton Street. By 1928 they had moved back to 1217 Atlantic Avenue.  

The 1943 City Directory shows Clarence Phifer no longer working as a policeman. He was, however, still involved in the criminal justice system. He was then employed as a clerk in the Camden Police Court. 

The Phifers moved to 1254 Princess Avenue at some point after 1931 and remained their as late as 1947. Both Clarence Phifer and his brother Wallace Phifer had moved to Haddon Heights, New Jersey by the fall of 1959, where they lived out their days. Clarence Phifer died on April 29, 1967. Wallace Phifer passed away on November 24, 1968, survived by his wife, sons Clifford Phifer and Donald Phifer, and a daughter, Mary Phifer LaTorre.

Camden Post-Telegram * August 19, 1925

Charles Younger - Y.M.C.A - Lewis H. Stehr Jr.
Joseph Connell -
John W. Golden
Charles T. Humes - Archie Riess
Walter A. Mertz - Engine Company 1

Everett Joslin - Joseph McDonald - Vernon Jones
Frank Nelson - William Rogers - Harold Dunnit
John Bright -
Edwin Callahan - Walter Larson
August Pflederer - Clarence Phifer - Thomas Welch
Stanley Wirtz - Charles Naylor - George Rothwell
Richard Donnelly - Lester Gleason - Joseph Keefe

Fred Schucker - Harry Wagner - Chris Moll
Harry Layton - Edgar Ellender - August Haverkamp
Frank Kuda - Harry Kleinfelder - William Foehl
Thomas Shanahan - Harrison Pike
Lester Anderson - William Wood
George Townsend - Allen Palmer - William Swartz Nelson Till - William MountneyJohn A.Strauss
Frank Obermann - Edward Menzies
John Mulligan - Frank Kates - Clifford Lane
Nelson Andrews - Harry Leigh

John Lennox - William Merrigan
Howard Walker - Harry Greenan - Peter Laird

Smith- could be David, George, Roy, or Spencer William Rudd?

Camden Motorcycle Sporting Club
Joseph Bernart
Frank DeViney
Carl Preisendanz
Edward Paul
Charles Ellis
George Gummel
Bennett Arnold
Clayton Albertson

Camden Courier-Post - September 13, 1926

More than 1,200 persons witnesses the second annual track and field day of the 
Camden police and firemen.
Ed Menzies, a fireman is seen winning the 100 yard dash. Menzies is second from the left. At his left is Clarence Phifer, a policeman, who finished second, while at Menzies' right is George Nicktern, another cop, who took third place. 

The inset shows Barney Berlinger, Mercerburg Academy star, who, competing for 
Meadowbrook, triumphed in the pole vault.       

Camden Courier-Post - January 26, 1928

‘Caveman’ Clayton Sparkles in City League Victory; Wayne Boys Win

 Central Camden beat the Camden Police quintet to make it two straight in the Municipal basketball circuit at Convention Hall last night. By blanking Clarence Phifer, and holding Ott Laxton down to six points the Central outfit spiked the Coppers’ attack. Clayton and Grover Wearshing did the heavy work for the winners. Clayton held Phifer without a field shot and tallied four times from the field. Wearshing bagged a trio of double-deckers.

Gus Koerner was ejected from the game when Referee Keneman ruled him off the floor for abusive language.

The Wayne dribblers battled down South Camden under a 46-20 score in the other combat Jimmy Reed and Devlin were the bright stars for the winners.

Camden Evening Courier - December 11, 1930


Lewis H. Stehr  - Dr. David S. Rhone - Charles V. Dickinson - Arthur Colsey
George A. Ward - John Kowal  - Donald Swissler - Clarence Phifer - Archie Reiss
John Skolski - Herbert Anderson - Thomas Cheeseman - Harry Kyler
George Nowrey - Frank Truax - Ralph Bakley
Clay W. Reesman - Clifford A. Baldwin - Winfield S. Price
Clifford A. Flennard - Camden Local No. 35, P.B.A. -
Cooper Hospital
B.C. Schroeder - Broadway - Royden Street

Camden Evening Courier - Morning Post 12, 1930

Lewis H. Stehr  - Dr. David S. Rhone - Charles V. Dickinson - Arthur Colsey
George A. Ward - John Kowal  - Donald Swissler - Clarence Phifer - Archie Reiss
John Skolski - Herbert Anderson - Thomas Cheeseman - Harry Kyler
George Nowrey - Frank Truax - Ralph Bakley   - John J. Breslin 
Cooper Hospital - Rev. Edward T. Weeks - Union Methodist Episcopal Church
B.C. Schroeder - Broadway - Royden Street - Sixth Ward Republican Club

Camden Courier-Post
May 1, 1933

Federal Street
Edward Stone
Clarence Phifer
Louis Street
Garfield S. Pancoast
Lansdowne Avenue

Camden Courier-Post - Evening Courier
May 16, 1933

Former Cafe Owner Denies Revolver Was Fired 5 Times From Car

Garfield Del Duca, former owner of the Ringside Inn and the Embassy Cafe on Federal Street near Second was released early today after being questioned regarding shots reported to have been fired from his automobile.

Policemen William Feitz and Clarence Phifer said they heard what they believed to be five gunshots as Del Duca's car passed Broadway and Walnut Street shortly before 1:00 AM. There were two men in the rear seat, they said.

By the time Feitz and Phifer caught up to Del Duca's machine in their own car, it was parked at Second and Line Streets. Del Duca was sitting in the front seat. No one was in the rear but the officers said the rear doors were open.

Del Duca was taken to headquarters where he denied any knowledge of firing or even hearing shots. There was no gun in his machine and after questioning Del Duca was freed at 2:15 AM by Detective Sergeant Rox Saponare.

Two women, Katherine Blake, 30, and Margaret Huston, 30, both of 524 Spruce Street, who were walking on Broadway at the time of the alleged shots, also said they heard nothing when questioned at headquarters. They were allowed to go after questioning.      

Two men reported seen in front or the Lyric Theatre just before Del Duca's car passed, disappeared before they could be interrogated by the police, Feitz said.



Camden Courier-Post
November 26, 1968