Camden Post-Telegram * December 30, 1920
|Camden Courier-Post - February 20, 1936|
CHIEF RESCUES SAVINGS OF WOMAN
savings of a widow were saved last night by Battalion Chief Charles Errickson
as flames destroyed a photographic studio in her home at
939 Newton Avenue.
worked his way through dense smoke at the home of Mrs. Carrie C.
Perkinpine to get her savings in a small box in a second story bedroom.
Perkinpine lived with her son, Leonard J. Farrar, who has been
unemployed two years. He was to have started
work as a photographer next Monday but all of his equipment, including a camera, were lost in the
had banked the furnace in the cellar for the night and was reading in
the dining room when I heard a crackling noise," Mrs. Perkinpine
said. "I opened the cellar door and was nearly overcome by a gust
ran to the home of neighbors across the street and they called the fire
department. Four companies responded under Errickson. The fire spread to
the photographic studio set up in the cellar by Farrar and destroyed his
developing and enlarging equipment as well as the camera. Firemen were
unable to account for the origin of the blaze unless sparks from the
furnace ignited a pile of rubbish in the cellar. The tire was confined
to the cellar although the upper rooms were damaged by smoke.
other families were forced to flee their homes because of smoke from the
|CAMDEN COURIER-POST - OCTOBER 3, 1936|
City Commissioner Mary W. Kobus, recovering at her home from an accidental fall in July, is shown signing the Fire Prevention Week proclamation of the Camden County Fire Chiefs Association, with Battalion Chief Charles Erickson, of the city fire department looking on. The above is the first newspaper picture of Mrs. Kobus since the accident.
Camden Courier-Post * March 8, 1937
Engine Company 3
Edward R. MacDowell
J. Eavenson & Sons soap works
Baker-Flick Co. department store
Engine Company 9
|Camden Courier-Post - February 9, 1938|
|Charles Errickson - Rollo Jones - Little Ray Smith|
|Camden Courier-Post * February 12, 1938|
|FIRE FIGHTER HURT AS 2-ALARM BLAZE DAMAGES JUNK SHOP
A fireman was injured slightly last night when a two-alarm fire damaged the Penn Junk Shop at 1190 Chestnut street.
Hoseman Adam Meade, 41, of 1446 South Fourth Street, attached to Engine Company No. 3. suffered an injured ankle when a fence fell on it 'while he was fighting the blaze. He was taken to West Jersey Hospital where he was treated and released.
The fire, of undetermined origin, started in the single - story frame building owned by Chester Szalanski and had gained good headway in piles of papers and rags before firemen arrived.
The first alarm was turned in at 10:36 p. m. by Alice Saduski, 16, of 1169 Chestnut street, who ran across the snow - covered street in bare feet to pull the fire alarm box.
When Battalion Chief Charles Errickson arrived he ordered the second alarm turned in. No estimate of the loss could be obtained last night.
|Camden Courier-Post - February 19, 1938|
February 19, 1938
Roye - Loyal D. Odhner
Kobus - Edward
Tatem - William
|Camden Courier-Post - July 28, 1941|
FIRE MARS TENDER LAUNCHING
Five hundred persons attending the launching of a net tender at the John H. Mathis Shipbuilding Corporation were startled Saturday when the cry of "fire" was sounded.
The blaze, although slight, was only a few yards from the crowds of employees, their relatives, and yard and Navy officials watching the launching.
The fire was caused when a large crane dumped hot coals on the railroad tracks, setting fire to the ties and & quantity of oil soaked rags. Employees of the yard watching the ceremonies, rushed to the danger spot and extinguished the flames within a few minutes.
However, due to the proximity of the fire to the ships and its possible danger if it gained headway, the Camden fire department was called.
Battalion Chief Charles Errickson, answering the call, collapsed from ;he heat a few minutes after returning to the fire house. His condition was not considered serious and he declined hospital treatment.
The ship sent down the ways was the net tender, U.S.S. Teak. It was launched three months ahead of schedule and Navy officials had attempted to keep the ship's launching a secret until the fire disclosed the story.
Mrs. E. L. Patch, wife of Captain E. L. Patch, supervising naval construction at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation, christened the 160-foot vessel. Later, the hull was towed to Port Richmond where Diesel engines will be installed, before it is commissioned into the Navy. The ship cost $471,000 and is the second tender launched at the yard in recent months.
Two others of similar design are under construction on the ways. The yard also holds contracts for three minesweepers and 10 submarine chasers.
The net tenders are used for laying and repairing nets in harbors as a defense against submarines. The nets also are placed around anchored ships to protect them against torpedoes.
employees, as a reward for finishing the ship ahead of schedule, were
taken yesterday on a picnic to Seaside Heights, sponsored by the company.
Ten chartered buses were provided for transportation.
USS TEAK AN-35
Click on Image to Enlarge
|World War II Draft Card|
Camden Courier-Post * February 20, 1946
North Front Street
Charles H. Errickson
Walter A. Mertz
Theodore N. Guthrie
Engine Company 8
John N. Tobin
Mair H. Auerbach
Dr. A.J. Kilberg
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE