CHARLES H. DAVENPORT was born in 1858 in Connecticut to Charles and Harriet Davenport, the second child, coming after sister Sarah. The family moved to Camden shortly thereafter. His father fought in the Civil War with a New Jersey infantry regiment.
After the war the elder Davenport ran a grocery, and then a hotel at North 9th and State Streets. At the time of the 1880 Census he owned a hotel at 9th and Market Streets. The Davenports later moved to 21st and Federal Streets, and were one of the first families to move to the area, then in Stockton Township, when development began.
By 1887 Charles H. Davenport had moved to North 11th and Penn Streets, where he conducted a grocery store until he retired around 1920. He was then living at 201 40th Street in Camden. After his retirement he worked occasionally as a house painter.
Charles H. Davenport was a charter member of Camden Lodge 111, Loyal Order of Moose. He purchased a house at 2279 North 40th Street in Pennsauken NJ during the 1920s. He passed away on October 13, 1936 and was buried at Arlington Cemetery in Pennsauken.. He was survived by his wife, Emma, and three daughters.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE