Alfred
E.
Green


 

ALFRED E. GREEN was born in Brookway, New York on November 12, 1890. He had married and was living in Bayonne, New Jersey when he registered for the draft in 1917. By the end of 1919 Alfred and Ruth Green had moved to Camden, renting an apartment at 641 Locust Street. Camden police detective and political boss George V. Murry lived at 649 Locust, and it was without a doubt through Murry's influence that on November 22, 1920 Alfred E. Greene was appointed to the Camden Fire Department, being one of the first black fire fighters to join the department. Joseph "Polack Joe" Deven, who succeeded Murry to power in the Third Ward, lived next door at 639 Locust Street. By 1929 the Green family had moved to 228 Line Street. The Greens were still at that address in April of 1930.  By this time they had three sons, Alfred E. Jr., Theodore, and William Green. Fire Department records from 1931 place Alfred Green at 641 Locust Street. By the spring of 1942 Alfred E. Green and family had moved across the street to 213 Line Street.


When the 1947 Camden City Directory was compiled, Alfred E. Green and his wife Ruth were living at 213 Line Street, not far from Engine Company No. 1's firehouse at 409 Pine Street. Also living at home at that time was Alfred E. Green Jr., then working as an insurance agent, and his wife Helen V. Green.

Alfred E. Green, having reached the mandatory retirement age of 65, went out on pension on December 1, 1955. He was still living at 213 Line Street as late as 1959. By October of 1970 Alfred E. Green had moved to 2075 Berwick Street in East Camden. He passed away in December of 1972.


World War I Draft Card



World War II Draft Card


Circa 1949- Engine Company 1, wagon and pumper at front of quarters, South 4th & Pine Streets, South Camden. From left: Firemen Alfred Green, Fred Henderson, Charlie Cook, Leroy Hatchett, Robert Thomas, Andrew Robinson, James Richardson, Eugene Alston, James Clinton, Captains Jesse Jones and Raymond Amos.


September 1954- Roll Call at the housewatch desk of Engine Company 1 's old quarters, South 4th & Pine Streets, South Camden on the occasion of Fireman Charlie Cook's retirement following his last tour of duty. From left: Firemen Andrew Robinson, Eugene Alston, Theodore Primas, Charles Davis, Captain Jesse Jones presenting wrist watch, Firemen Jesthroe Hunt, Samuel Fisher, Charles Cook, Orville Goldsboro, Captain Raymond Amos, Fireman Alfred Green.

Photo by Bob Bartosz


 



RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE