Propulsion: independent vertical compound steam engines, coal fired boilers, twin screw, 1350 HP. Built as a tender for the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts and first homeported at New York, NY in the 3rd LHD.
ARMERIA was assigned to the Navy from 5 May to 16 September 1898 and converted for naval service at the Norfolk Navy Yard, commanded by Lieutenant Commander Leavitt Curtis Logan. Assigned to the North Atlantic Squadron for the duration of hostilities, she made at least two voyages from the United States to Cuba carrying ammunition for the Army.
In early June, ARMERIA was part of the Spanish "ghost squadron" that delayed the sailing of General Shafter for six days. USS EAGLE (a converted yacht) reported the presence of Spanish ships off the north coast of Cuba. Sailing of the American expeditionary force was delayed pending arrival of additional escorts from the blockading ships off Santiago. The sighted ships turned out to be ARMERIA, along with USS SCORPION and the storeship SUPPLY. In response to an urgent request from the Navy Department, Admiral Sampson decided to confirm that all Spanish ships were in Santiago Bay, leading to another exploit by the Lighthouse Service by the USS SUWANEE.
ARMERIA was reassigned to the 13th LHD in 1907 and transferred again to the 16th LHD at Kechikan in 1911, becoming the first tender to be permanently assigned to Alaska. She struck a submerged object while servicing Cape Hinchinbrook Light on 20 May 1912 and wrecked. Considered a total loss, her hulk was sold at auction.
RETURN TO JOHN H. DIALOGUE WEB PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE