Camden Fire Department
Engine Company 1


Engine Company 1 was organized on September 2, 1869 as one of the original units of the paid fire department, and entered service on December 7, 1869  at 409 Pine Street in South Camden, occupying quarters that had been built in 1860 and used by the volunteer fire department. New quarters were erected on the same site in 1892, where the company remained until November 2, 1978 when relocated to its present location at Fire Headquarters, 2 North 3rd Street, at North 3rd and Federal Streets, in the center of Camden's downtown district.  The former firehouse at South 4th and Pine was sold by the city and was used by a private party as late as 1994.


When first organized, Engine Company 1 consisted of an Engineer, a Driver, a Stoker, and ten extra men (call members).

 The first members of Engine Company 1 are as follows.

Position Badge

Name

Engineer E-1

George Rudolph Tenner 
(NOTE: The book Camden Fire Department 1869-1894 has him as Reuben G. Tenner. This is not supported by US Census documents)

Driver D-1

William H.H. Clark

Stoker S-1

Thomas McLaughlin

# 1

Thomas Allibone

# 2

William Dieth

# 3

George Horneff

# 4

John J. Brown

# 5

William A. White

# 6

James Sutton

# 7

Cornelius M. Brown

# 8

Alexander Peacock

# 9

Samuel Buzine

# 10

Jesse Chew

Annual salaries for the members of the paid force in  1869 were $600 for the Engineer, $450 for the Driver and the Stoker and $50 for the extra men. All but the extra men were paid monthly. The Chief Marshall received $800, and the Assistant Marshall $200 per year as well.


On May 16, 1870 Camden City Council authorized a contract with builder Abram Lower to build a brick stable adjacent to the Engine Company 1 headquarters at 409 Pine Street. The building cost $1650.


The first major fire that the new paid Camden Fire Department confronted was on December 320, 1869 at the R.M. English & Company oilcloth factory at Cooper's Point. Almost a year later, on Christmas Morning, December 25, 1870 fire destroyed St. John's Episcopal Church at Broadway and Royden street. This had formerly been a floating chapel anchored on the Philadelphia side of the Delaware River. The wooden church burned to the ground in an hour. A second St. John's was built, only to be lost to fire in 1892, and was replaced by the current building. 


Leadership in the Fire Department at this time was not subject to Civil Service regulations. When the Democrats gained control of City Council in 1876, future mayor Claudius Bradshaw was elected Chief Engineer for the City of Camden, George Horneff, of Engine Company 1 was named as Assistant Engineer, and another Engine 1 member, Thomas McLaughlin, was named as Extra Engineer. Bradshaw and Horneff were both re-elected in 1877. Cornelius Brown was promoted to foreman if Engine Company 1.

With Republicans regaining control of the city in 1879, Samuel Buzine of Engine 1 was named foreman of Engine Company 2. Cornelius Brown continued as Engine 1 foreman. Both men remained in these positions until March 27, 1882. George Rudolph Tenner was then named Engine Company 1 foreman.  In 1884 Samuel Buzine was named Foreman of Engine Company 1. He was promoted to Assistant Engineer the following year, his place being taken by John Stockton, who later became Chief of the department.


Engine Company 1
1893

409 Pine Street

1893

409 Pine Street

Engine Company 1 with its two-wheeled Silsby hose cart.

1896

409 Pine Street

Engine Company 1 with its second class Amoskeag steamer, which had been rebuilt by the LaFrance Engine Works of Elmira NY; and its two-wheeled Silsby hose cart.

1902

409 Pine Street

1934

409 Pine Street

1934 American LaFrance
Pumper
1000 GPM

Early 1950s

409 Pine Street

June 1952

409 Pine Street

1934 American LaFrance
Pumper
1000 GPM

The front of the building and the garage door had been remodeled.

June 1952

409 Pine Street

1934 American LaFrance
Pumper
1000 GPM

The front of the building and the garage door had been remodeled.

June 1952

409 Pine Street

1934 American LaFrance
Pumper
1000 GPM

The front of the building and the garage door had been remodeled.

June 1952

409 Pine Street

1934 American LaFrance
Pumper
1000 GPM

The front of the building and the garage door had been remodeled.

April 17, 1960

Camden Catholic High School
Broadway & Federal Street

1952 GMC Hose Wagon
200 GPM

Click on Image to Enlarge

photo courtesy of Bob Bartosz

April 17, 1960

Camden Catholic High School
Broadway & Federal Street

Click on Image to Enlarge

photo courtesy of Bob Bartosz

July 1960

409 Pine Street

1958 American LaFrance
Pumper
1000 GPM

July 1960

409 Pine Street

1958 American LaFrance
Pumper
1000 GPM

July 1960

409 Pine Street

1958
Dodge - American LaFrance
Hose Wagon
200 GPM

 

July 1960

409 Pine Street

1958
Dodge - American LaFrance
Hose Wagon
200 GPM

 

July 1960

409 Pine Street

1958
Dodge - American LaFrance
Model K-D-500
Hose Booster Wagon
Hale 200 GPM pump
300 gallon booster

Captain Jones in charge of company

July 1960

409 Pine Street

1958
Dodge - American LaFrance
Hose Wagon
200 GPM

 

August 31, 1972

1967
American LaFrance Pumper

 

1986

1986 Hahn Pumper
1500 GPM

 

1986

1986 Hahn Pumper
1500 GPM

Same Engine as above, Mickle and Riverview Towers apartment buildings in the background.

1994

At 2 North 3rd Street

Right to left: Captain Paul Matyjasik, Firefighter  Ed Olleck, Firefighter David Person, Firefighter Daniel Baker.

 


 

 

Engine Company 1 - 1989

Captain John DiMaggio, FFs Rich Marter, Jim Peterson, Greg Murphy


620 Sycamore Street - June 17, 2006
Story and Photo: Bob Bartosz

Busy 24 Hours in Camden NJ - 6 Working Fires along with  a Rescue





Camden Firefighters  had  a Busy 24 hour tour  starting on June 16th and ending on June 17th with Four All Hands Fire and  Two  second alarms all in the South Camden section of the city. 

The first job was a working fire in a row of two story dwellings in the 1200 block Morton Street.  Later that day they had a working fire in the middle of a row of two story dwellings in the 700 block of Spruce Street a few hours latter in the am hours they were call to the 700 block of Cherry Street

First in companies found heavy fire show in a large 3 story brick dwelling that put  all companies to work with in minutes part of the  structure collapsed  Battalion 1 called for a second alarm. A few minutes latter while to fire was going another alarm came in for a working fire at 908  Haddon Avenue, about 6 blocks away. 

As the companies were coming in they found another blaze a block away from the first job, in a row of 2 story dwellings  at 903 Haddon Avenue. 

Fire Radio put in a Special call to Camden County Fire Units to respond into the City, Fire Companies from Gloucester City, Oaklyn, Westmont, Collingswood, Pennsauken Township were put to work fight these blazes. By 4:30 AM all the fires were placed under control. 

A few hours later Firefighters were dispatched to 620 Sycamore Street for an Explosion and Fire with reports of people trapped. Engine 8 was first in with  Captain Dan Baker. He reported he had the end of a row brick 2 story dwelling that had exploded  and had numerous people injured and one  victim still  trapped on  the collapsed second floor and  he requested the Second Alarm to be transmitted. 

Rescue 1 was arriving with Captain Frank Sandrock and Battalion 1  Chief  Daryl Lewison along with Squad 7 and Engine 1 and Ladder Companies 2 and 1  and Battalion Chief 2 Mike Dipascale on the second alarm with Engine Companies 6 and 9, Ladder 3 and Special Operations Rescue  unit and Car 3 with Deputy Chief Mike Harper  and Chief of Department Joseph Marini in Car 1. 

Firefighters could hear a female calling for help from the collapsed  second floor.

Firefighters went to work shoring up the collapsed building.  Captain Sandrock of Rescue 1 was OPS Officer. About 30 minutes later firefighters were able to get to the badly injured woman. She had burns over 70 percent of her body. Rescue 1 firefighter Eli Hall was sent up the ladder  to bring her down. Camden EMS removed her to Cooper Hospital Trauma. 

Two other males were blown out of the second floor of the building onto the street and were taken to the hospital by Camden  EMS. Two of the victims were admitted in critical condition. Car 3 Harper place the assignment control. 

The explosion is under investigation by the Camden Fire Marshal Office and Camden Police Arson Unit along with the ATF.

Cherry Hill Twp Canteen Unit RIT team and Rehab Unit, and County Fire Police and Camden County Field Com units were Special called. This was a Busy 24 hours with 4 All Hands and 2 second alarm fire and a life saving rescue.

 

Click on Images for Enlarged and High Resolution Views

Philadelphia Inquirer - July 8, 1873
 

Philadelphia Inquirer - July 30, 1890
South 6th Street - Mechanic Street - John J. Hayes - Engine Company 3 -
Engine Company 1
- Samuel Lodge - Mortimer Wilson - William Bogia
Charles Robinson - Ladder Company 1 - Cooper Hospital - Daniel Scofield

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 10, 1904
Pine Street - Farr & Bailey's Oilcloth Works - Engine Company 1

ENGINE COMPANY 1 PERSONNEL * MARCH 15, 1909 - APRIL 22, 1910

The information below was gleaned from the actual attendance log for Engine Company 1. Please note that William Buzine served with Engine 1 in September of 1909 and November of 1909, but not in October of 1909. James Navins served as a substitute at least once in each month beginning in September of 1909, through April of 1910. William Morris served as a substitute in July, August and September of 1909. Josiah Sage served as a substitute in August and September, 1909.  

JOHN A. STOCKTON

MARCH 15, 1909

ACTIVE on April 22, 1910

 

WILLIAM O. SAWYER

MARCH 15, 1909

ACTIVE on April 22, 1910

 

GEORGE R. TENNER

MARCH 15, 1909

ACTIVE on April 22, 1910

 

ANDREW MILLER

MARCH 15, 1909

ACTIVE on April 22, 1910

 

JOSEPH B. AYRES

MARCH 15, 1909

ACTIVE on April 22, 1910

 

JOSEPH DALEY

MARCH 15, 1909

ACTIVE on April 22, 1910

 

MARTIN CARRIGAN

MARCH 15, 1909

ACTIVE on April 22, 1910

 

JAMES P. LEWIS

MARCH 15, 1909

MARCH 1, 1910

 

FRANK N. STOCKTON

MARCH 15, 1909

APRIL 15, 1910

 

GEORGE H. HUNTA

MARCH 2, 1910

ACTIVE on April 22, 1910

 

JOSEPH SPARKS

APRIL 16, 1909

ACTIVE on April 22, 1910

 
 

JAMES NAVIN

SEPTEMBER 1909

APRIL 1910

 

WILLIAM MORRIS

JULY 1909

SEPTEMBER 1909

 

JOSIAH SAGE

AUGUST 1909

SEPTEMBER 1909

 

WILLIAM BUZINE

SEPTEMBER 1909
NOVEMBER 1909

 

 

Philadelphia Inquirer
June 27, 1914

John A. Stockton - Peter B. Carter
Charles Worthington - Samuel Whitezell
Charles Cook -
Engine Company 1


Philadelphia Inquirer - July 22, 1914
Pine Street - Joseph A. Ware - James Ware
Fillmore Street
- Cooper Hospital - Locust Street
Joseph A. Ware - Engine Company 1

Philadelphia Inquirer - July 27, 1914 Joseph A. Ware
Rev. Martin Stockett
Charles Cook
Richard Marter
James Navin
Louis Shaw
Spencer Smith
Alfred Hayden
Engine Company 1
Church of Our Saviour

 


Camden Courier-Post * July 22, 1941
...continued...
...continued...
George E. Brunner - William C. Schriver - Leo G. Stephans - Sgt. Ray Smith
Fred Vogel - Samuel Shapiro -
James H. O'Brien - Albert C. Becker - Roy C. Adams
Burnell S. Hartman -
Michael Mungioli - Carrie R. Bean - Anne D. Spooner
Engine Company 1 - Engine Company 3 - Engine Company 7 - Engine Company 8
Engine Company 9 - Engine Company 10 - Engine Company 11
Engine Company 2 (Fire Headquarters)

Engine 1 helmet belong in firefighter John Meksa
 

Engine Company 1 - 1990s

From left: Captain Paul Matyjasik, ________, _________, Dan Baker

Be Sure to Click on Images for Enlarged Views

Many of the above photographs are from the limited edition book "Fire Department Camden NJ 125 Anniversary 1869-1994" and were taken by Bob Bartosz. Others are courtesy of Joel Bain of the Camden Fire Department.

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE