CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital
Haddon & Vesper Avenues
History through 1956
OUR LADY OF LOURDES HOSPITAL
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Camden, New Jersey, was opened to patients on July 1, 1950, for the care of all races, colors, and creeds. The hospital is owned and operated by the Sisters of St. Francis, Allegany, New York, who have thirteen other hospitals from Massachusetts to Florida. It is a general hospital with 302 beds and 60 bassinets. It is fully approved by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Hospitals as well as by the Council on Medical Education of the A.M.A. for the training of interns.
The cost of the construction was $3,940,000 and the equipment reached a cost of $800,000. It was financed chiefly through a loan from an insurance company. Some of the funds were raised through public subscription, approximately $1,200,000. The interest and the amortization of the principal of the loan amount to five hundred dollars a day.
Current plans are for a Nursing School and Residence at a cost of $1,500,000.
CAMDEN COURIER POST - MAY 19, 1964
Bishop's Hospital Fund Oversubscribed $200,000
for Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital was broken September 7,
than 2,500 persons saw
Bishop Eustace turn the first spadeful of earth at the site on
Haddon Avenue near Euclid. He then blessed the ground.
ceremony, attended by church dignitaries, civic and professional
leaders, was the culmination of a campaign opened a year
previously by the bishop to raise funds for the new hospital
his address Bishop Eustace reported the goal of $2,200,000
was oversubscribed by more than $200,000.
Rich, Poor Contributed
was indeed a very generous response for which thanks are to be
returned to every class of persons;" said the late bishop.
"The rich and poor have nobly and generously contributed.
The donors were not all Catholics; many not of our faith.
Protestants as well as Jews have seen fit to associate themselves
with us in this charitable enterprise.
suspicions can now be put aside. We make an important step toward
oneness of spirit. We become more united in a world torn by
conflicting aims and purposes."
that form a halo for the statue of Our Lady of Lourdes on top of
the hospital were turned on for the first time March 28, 1949, by
Mother Superior Paracleta, OSF, superintendent of the hospital
since it opened. The halo is visible for miles.
Praised at Dinner
Eustace again praised the people of South Jersey for their
benevolence at a dinner Nov. 29, 1949.
John Weber and
Thomas Kennedy, restaurant owners, jointly presented Bishop
Eustace with a check for $3,080 toward the hospital equipment fund. The money represented entire
proceeds from the sale of tickets for the dinner.
bishop paid tribute to "Kenney who is Irish by descent and
Weber who is Irish by assent."
cornerstone of the hospital was
laid Oct. 3, 1948; the
building completed March 15,1950;
the hospital dedicated May 28, 1950,
and opened for
patients July 1, 1950.
dedication ceremony began with a procession from the front of the
hospital to the rear where the speaker's platform and the altar
had been erected.
Hundreds In Procession
hundred members of the clergy took part in the procession and,
while they walked to the rear of the building, the bells were
sounded at the Shrine of Perpetual Rosary in the adjacent
guard for the procession; included about 75 members of the
Knights of Columbus Fourth Degree of Camden Diocese under
jurisdiction of the Bishop Eustace General Assembly.
Courier-Post said in an editorial May 30,
"It was Bishop Eustace who on arrival here 12 years ago was startled by the lack of a Catholic hospital in the diocese. The spiritual leader of the diocese at once set out to remedy that lack and Sunday could see a magnificent monument to his tireless efforts.
"The hospital was built and equipped from private funds much of which was donated by citizens of all faiths, just as the sick of all faiths will be given refuge and relief there.
"Strikingly modern architecturally, with the latest in scientific and medical equipment, tasteful and inviting in its decor, Our Lady of Lourdes has been called one of the finest hospitals in the country.
"The addition of 362 beds to the hospital facilities of Camden will immeasurably lighten the load of those who care for this community's sick. And, of course, the sick of Camden will look on this new hospital as a welcome blessing.
all of Camden, ill and healthy alike, can feel a sense of pride
in its beauty and the harbor of healing it will offer to everyone,"
Nursing School Dedicated
The School of Nursing was dedicated May 14, 1961, by Archbishop Damiano, Bishop of Camden . There are 123 young women who are students in the school. Ten were graduated last January. Forty will be graduated next May 24.
the hospital opened there were 160 beds as compared to 362 now.
There were 175 employees at the end of 1950 and 716 at the end of
1963, according to Sister Paracleta. Total in-patients treated in
1950 was 901. Total for 1963 was 12,823. Eighty babies were born
in the hospital in 1950. Last year's total was 2,875.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE