CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
The Holl Block
200 to 222 BROADWAY - between Mickle and Stevens Street
George and Lewis F. Holl built many houses and commercial buildings in Camden in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The 1887-1888 directory for Camden shows George Holl at the corner of Broadway and Benson Street, and the directory for 1888-1889 has him at 310 Broadway. Lewis Holl lived with his wife Emma L. Holl at 328 Mount Vernon Street, Emma Holl also worked as a teacher. During this time the Holl brothers erected 12 three story business properties on the east side of Broadway between Mickle and Stevens Streets. George Holl passed away on April 16, 1912, and Lewis on December 18, 1919. The brothers were buried in adjoining plots at Evergreen Cemetery in Camden. The properties on Broadway remained in the family for a time, but eventually found their way into Orphans Court, and were sold at auction in 1941.
In 1942 the Holl block was demolished, and 10 one story stores were built which remain in use as of April of 2003.
Electric - 1936
Looking South on Broadway
From the Elevated Railroad Tracks at Mickle Street
On Right, Broadway beginning at 201, which was at the time the home of Borstein Electric. It had been the home and place of business of Roy R Stewart, Mayor of Camden from 1931 to 1935. In 1936 Roy R Stewart business was at 203.
The second building is the Grand Theater. The movie playing was the 1936 release "The Princess Comes Across", a comedy starring Carole Lombard and Fred McMurray.
|The Holl Block - April 2003|
|Above: Looking South from Mickle Boulevard * Below: Looking North from Stevens Street|
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE