CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
The fabric of Camden's social life in the days before television was woven in great part by the many social, service, and fraternal groups that were active in the city. Most of these are long gone, some are extinct and some are on the verge of disappearing. One group that was active in Camden in the 1920s but gone from the city today is the Theosophical Society. The club met, in the late 1920s, at 515 Cooper Street.
The Theosophical Society is an organization founded in New York City in 1875 to investigate the nature of the universe and humanity's place in it, to promote understanding of other cultures, and to be a nucleus of universal brotherhood among all human beings. Today the Society has branches in some seventy countries, with its international headquarters in India.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE