The Cyclone of April 2, 1912

The city of Camden was hit by tornados, or as they were then called, cyclones, on two occasions, August 3, 1885 and April 2, 1912. The first storm destroyed the Tabernacle Baptist Church at North 3rd and Pearl Street, and caused damage to buildings at North 3rd and Main Streets and elsewhere.

The second storm damaged homes and business throughout North Camden. The storm traveled in an easterly path from the Delaware River at Elm Street all the way to North 10th Street, where a factory was badly damaged, five smoke stacks being toppled and the building's roof blown completely away.

The atmospheric conditions that led to the two tornados striking in almost the same places seem to have been altered by the construction of what is now known as the Benjamin Franklin Bridge in the 1920s. No calamities of this nature have struck the city since then. 

Philadelphia Inquirer * April 3, 1912

Anna Cleary - Anna Gehrend - Vine Street
Oxford Copper Company - North 4th Street - North 10th Street - Elm Street
Edward Francis - Mrs. Mills - Albert Roberts - Mary Goldy - Charles Houser Edward Trappe - Joseph Layton - August Weber - Mrs. George Waldis
John Presher - Susie Aborn
Edward Priesendanz - Harry Curtis - Frank Nice - George Beckert
Mrs. A.M. Magrath -
Thomas Reed - George Eckenhoff - Lillian Rhoades
S.M. Blair - John Getty - Mrs. Howard Ivins - George Batchelor - Raymond Wallen
Charles Jordan - Michael Burke - Allen Naylor - William Conerdi
Matthew J. Lemon -
Dr. Howard F. Palm - William Ackley - Thomas Wescott
Frank Kears -Otto Shapiro
North 2nd Street - North 5th Street - North 8th Street - Linwood Street 
Elisha A. Gravenor
Samuel S. Elfreth
Scott Veazey