THE YEAR 1927

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

Contract awarded December 1927 for the construction of the new bank building for the First Camden National Bank& Trust Company, to be erected at Broadway & Cooper Streets, at a cost of approximately $825,000

City Commission on December 1, 1927 changed the name of Forest Hill Park to Farnham Park, in appreciation of the late Levi E. Farnham, City Engineer of Camden for thirty years.

The USS Saratoga, airplane carrier, the largest and most costly vessel in the United States Navy to date, built in Camden at the shipyard of the American Brown-Boveri Company at a cost of $45,000,000 was taken from Camden to the League Island Navy Yard on November 23, 1927.

1932 1035 1942
Click on Images to Enlarge

       USS Saratoga, a 43,500-ton Lexington class battle cruiser, was laid down at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyard in Camden in September 1920. Her construction was suspended in February 1922, under the terms of the Washington Naval Limitations Treaty. As the treaty allowed, she was converted to the aircraft carrier Saratoga (CV-3), beginning later in that year. Click here for views of USS Saratoga (CC-3) while she was under construction as a battle cruiser.

On May 16, 1927 a merger was effected between the West Jersey Trust Company and the Parkside Title and Trust Company, the new bank to be known as the West Jersey-Parkside Trust Company. Congressman Francis Ford Patterson Jr. was the first president of the combined banks. The West Jersey Trust Company was established April 2, 1906 at Third and Market Streets, and its first President was Norman Grey.

Mayor Winfield S. Price in November 1927 appointed a committee to arrange for the observance in February 1928 of the One Hundredth Anniversary of the City of Camden. The committee is composed of Charles S. Boyer, Chairman; T. Yorke Smith, E.G.C. Bleakly, Mahlon F. Ivins Jr., Fred S. Caperoon and Frank S. Albright.

Fairview office of the West Jersey-Parkside Trust Company was opened November 1, 1927.

According to an estimate made by the U.S. Census Bureau the population of Camden July 1, 1927 was 133,100.

Eldridge R. Johnson, the former President and founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company, announced a gift of $800,000 to the University of Pennsylvania for the establishment of "The Eldridge R. Johnson Foundation for Research in Medical Physics."

Sears, Roebuck & Company opened its new retail store at the Civic Center on July 30, 1927.

 

Voices and music in the air got all Camden outdoors on the afternoon of July 26, 1927 when a Fokker airplane demonstrating a new system of electrical amplification played talking machine records 3200 feet above the city.

The northern half of the Crescent Boulevard, connecting eight main highways leading into Camden, was opened to travel July 1, 1927.

On July 1, 1927 the First Camden National Bank& Trust Company began business under this title. The bank and its forebears trace their history back to 1812. In that year Camden's first bank was incorporated. It was known as The State Bank at Camden, and retained that name until June 2, 1865, at which time it became a National Bank and its title was made "The National State Bank of Camden". This name was retained until July 1, 1922 when it merged with the First National Bank under the name First National State Bank. In 1927 another merger took place, this time with the Camden National bank, the new and large institution now being known as First Camden National Bank& Trust Company. The first President of this institution was F. Morse Archer.

The Broadway Trust Company and the Merchants Trust Company merged July 1, 1927. John B. Kates was the first President of the merged banks. The Broadway Trust Company was incorporated in April 1907 and opened for business August 12, 1907. Its first president was John J. Burleigh. On September 8, 1920 this company moved into its handsome banking building at Broadway and Walnut Streets. The Merchants Trust Company was organized November 16, 1911 and opened for business March 4, 1912 at 18 Broadway. The first President was Charles A. Reynolds. The present bank building (1928) was opened for business March 24, 1919.

Keel of the USS Salt Lake City, a cruiser to be built for the U.S. Navy, was laid at the American Brown-Boveri Electric Corporation (a subsidiary of the New York Shipbuilding Company) shipyard June 9, 1927.

USS Salt Lake City
at
New York Shipbuilding
in
January,1929
just prior
to being launched
.
USS Salt Lake City
at
New York Shipbuilding
on
January 23, 1929

 

New executive building of the Delaware River Bridge Commission, at Sixth and Linden Streets, opened May 31, 1927.

The consolidation of the West Jersey Trust Company and Parkside Title and Trust Company became effective May 16, 1927.

The City Commissioners, all Republicans, elected May 10, took the oath of office May 17, 1927. The Commissioners are: General Winfield S. Price, Mayor; T. Yorke Smith, William D. Sayrs Jr., Dr. David S. Rhone and Clay W. Reesman

Cornerstone of the American National Bank, Broadway and Kaighn Avenue, laid April 9, 1927. 

The Camden Safe Deposit and Trust Company announced early in April the purchase of a site at the northwest corner of Broadway and Market Street, upon which a modern bank building will later be erected.

Former United States Senator David Baird Sr., political leader of South Jersey, died at his home, 804 Cooper Street, February 25, 1927. He was born in Ireland April 7, 1839, and came to America in 1856.

The Ann Canning Building at Cooper Hospital, the gift of S.C. Childs, in memory of his mother, was dedicated January 12, 1927.

Early in January 1927 the control of the Victor Talking Machine Company passed from Eldridge R. Johnson, the founder, to a syndicate organized by Speyer & Company and J. & W. Seligman, New York bankers. Mr. Johnson received in round figures $28,000,000 for his more than 240,000 shares of Victor stock.

The Marion Childs Children's Hospital building on the grounds of West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital, a gift of S. Canning Childs, and named for his daughter, was opened May 28, 1927.

The Charles A. Reynolds Nurses' Hall, erected and furnished at a cost of $150,000, the money being donated by the citizens of Camden City and County, was opened October 15, 1927.

The new power plant and laundry building of the West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital was put into use for the first time December 15, 1927

The Church of the Holy Name, which was organized on July 13, 1913, dedicated the handsome new church at 5th and Vine Streets on December 18, 1927. This church cost more than $250,000.

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE