THE YEAR 1925

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

At a largely attended meeting of representative citizens held in the Y.M.C.A. January 12, 1925 the Camden County Park Association was organized, with Eldridge R. Johnson, of the Victor Talking Machine Company, president. 

The R.M. Hollingshead Company awarded the contract early in February 1925 for the erection of a six-story building at Ninth and Cooper Streets on the lot adjoining the David Baird property. This Company was started in a small way in 1885 by R.M. Hollingshead to manufacturers, but with the coming of the automobile the company turned its attention to making specialties for the automobile trade; as well as preparations for household use. 

Cooper Mansion, built in 1857 at Point and State Streets, was razed by contractors for the Victor Talking Machine Company, which formerly used the old dwelling as a storehouse; in February 1925.

The application for the charter of the Camden Aeronautical Association was signed on February 16, 1925. 

Admiral Henry B. Wilson, son of the late Henry B. Wilson, of Camden, retired to private life on February 23, 1925 after a service of forty-nine years in the United States Navy. 

The cornerstone of Camden County's new $200,000 Detention Home was laid on March 18, 1925. 

Ground was broken on April 1, 1925 by Camden Lodge of Elks for its new home at Cooper and Seventh Streets. 

Freight Steamship service to Pacific ports was established in Camden March 24, 1925 when the steamship Orleans, of the Williams Line, sailed from Municipal Pier with a cargo from Camden plants. 

The USS Saratoga, the largest ship ever launched in North America to date and the world's greatest airplane carrier of its day, was launched at the yard of the New York Shipbuilding Company, Camden, on April 7, 1925. 

Erected at a cost of $120,000, the new Deaconess House, built by New Jersey Methodists at 278 Kaighn Avenue, Camden, was formally opened on April 30, 1925. 

The new steel and concrete bridge over Cooper River at Kaighn Avenue was opened to travel on May 21, 1925. 

The cornerstone of the Frances Childs Maternity Hospital, in course of erection on the grounds of the West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital, was laid June 19, 1925. The Building, which was the gift of S.C. Childs in honor of his wife, was opened March 27, 1926.

The new Municipal Market, the old Reading Terminal at Kaighn Avenue and the Delaware River, was formally opened on July 2, 1925. 

The cornerstone of the new $200,000 banking-house of the Parkside Trust Company Haddon and Kaighn Avenues, was laid August 21, 1925. 

The Walt Whitman Hotel, the first modern fire-proof hotel to be erected in Camden, built by community subscription at a cost of $1,250,000, was opened to receive guests for the first time September 19, 1925. The Hotel is under the management of The American Hotels Corporation, with John W. Taylor as resident manager. 

In September of 1925 it was announced that the New York Shipbuilding Company had the contract to build the Malolo for the Matson Navigation Company, which will be the largest and swiftest high-powered passenger steamer ever built in the United States. The Malolo will ply between San Francisco and Honolulu, and will have sufficient speed to cut the round trip time by four days.


      The Malolo was put into service in 1927. In 1930, the movie FEET FIRST, starring Harold LLoyd, was shot in part aboard the Malolo.

FEET FIRST

[1930 - Harold Lloyd, Barbara Kent, Robert McWade - black&white - 93 minutes]  A Honolulu store clerk (Lloyd) delivers shoes to his boss's wife aboard the SS Malolo that is docked in Honolulu harbor. Through a series of comic mishaps he becomes an unwilling stowaway on the ship sailing for San Francisco. Once there he ends up hanging perilously from a skyscraper in Lloyd's classic style. Filmed partially on location aboard the SS Malolo..

The new Broadway extension which passes the Walt Whitman Hotel and connected Market Street with the bridge plaza at Penn Street was opened to traffic on September 10, 1925.

Early in 1925, in anticipation of the completion of the Delaware River Bridge, a real estate boom struck Camden, and property on Cooper Street, and on other streets close to the bridge entrance sold at prices higher than ever before realized in this city. Some sales were recorded at prices running from $1000 to $2500 per front foot. The boom collapsed in October, 1925. 

The Land Title Guaranty Company of New Jersey opened its new building at the southeast corner of Fifth and Market Streets December 15, 1925. 

Lakeland Hospital, the new County Hospital for Tuberculosis, was dedicated December 15, 1925.

The new Convention Hall at the Camden Civic Centre was dedicated with a banquet on the night of December 30, 1925. 

The present telephone building at Haddon Avenue and Federal Street was put in service on September 13, 1925. Its cost, including land and inside equipment to the Telephone Company was about $2,000.000. 

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE