THE YEAR 1924

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The Reading Terminal and Ferry Building, erected at a cost of $3,000,000, was opened to the public May 15, 1924. 

Camden Courier-Post - July 5, 1926

Click on Images to Enlarge
Reading Pennsylvania Sea Shore Line Ferry
Postcard from late 1920s

The Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal Church and the Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church consolidated in June of 1924 under the name Centenary-Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal Church, using the edifice at 5th and Cooper Streets. 

Centenary-Tabernacle
Methodist Episcopal Church

This building was dedicated in September of 1893

Calvary and First Presbyterian Church were united under the name of the latter, June 22, 1924. The Calvary building was sold. 

Beth El Synagogue on Park Boulevard between Baird Boulevard and Belleview Avenue, opposite Farnham Park, was dedicated on December 14, 1924. 

Painting By

William M. Hoffman, Jr.
Ligonier, PA
Professor Emeritus, Rutgers University

The Young Women’s Christian association (YWCA) moved into its present new building on Stevens Street above Broadway on May 17, 1924

The YWCA Building at 565 Stevens Street  - Spring of 2003

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE