THE YEAR 1923

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The Kiwanis Club of Camden was formed in January of 1923. The club received its charter May 10, 1923.

On March 4, 1923 the voters of the City of Camden adopted Commission Government by a vote of 13, 133 for to 11,273 against. On April 10, 1923 the election for the five Commissioners was held and the following were chosen: Victor King, Democrat; M.F. Middleton, Jr., Republican; Carroll P. Sherwood, Democrat; Frank G. Hitchner, Republican, and H. Raymond Staley, Republican. The Commissioners met on April 17th and organized, designating Victor King as Mayor. The winning Commissioners were the candidates of the Non-Partisan league, which waged a vigorous campaign for their election.

F. Wayland Ayer, one of Americaís pioneer advertising men and a resident of Camden for many years, died at his summer home in Meridith NY on March 4, 1923, at the age of 75.

Work begun on the new St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church in Fairview in April of 1923

   

A total of $1,930,750 was realized from the auction sale of properties in Brooklawn on May 21, 1923.

   

The Camden City Firemenís Band was organized in June of 1923.

   

Merchants Trust Company introduced a twelve-hour service in its banking-house in June, 1923.

   

Camden Safe Deposit and Trust Company celebrated its fiftieth anniversary July 2, 1923. Ephraim Tomlinson, the President, and other officers and directors of the bank were host to visiting bankers from Camden and elsewhere.

   

The bandstand in Pyne Point Park, costing $6,500 was dedicated July 5, 1923.

   

Contract signed for the erection of Camden Catholic High School on Seventh Street, adjoining the Church of the Immaculate Conception. The cornerstone was laid October 28, 1923.

   

Work started on the wading pool in Johnson Park in July of 1923 

   

The trolley strike in August 1923 served as a great impetus to the inauguration of auto bus service.

   

Edmund E. Read Jr., died August 7, 1923. Born in Camden in 1859, he devoted all of his talents to the up-building of the city. He was prominent in every worthwhile movement in Camden during the years of his active life. 

   

C.S. Magrath, for many years editor of the Camden Democrat, died in Cape May NJ at the age of 81, on August 6, 1923.

   

St. Johnís Episcopal Church celebrated its seventieth anniversary on September 9, 1923. Reverend J. Hardenbrook Townsend, who was rector of the church from 1881 to 1891,and again from 1914 to 1921, preached the sermon. 

   

On October 1, 1923, the Camden Post-Telegram passed to the management and control of the Camden Publishing Company, of which William A. Searle, formerly Secretary of the Chamber of Commerce, was President and General Manager. Congressman Francis Ford Patterson Jr. severed his connection with the paper at this time. The paper was published by this company for a short time only, when Mr. Patterson again assumed control. He later disposed of his interest to a syndicate of Republican leaders led by David Baird Jr., who in turn sold the paper to the Courier Company.

   

Levi E. Farnham, for over thirty years City Engineer of Camden, died October 13, 1923 at the age of 67. 

   

The old river steamboat Twilight was destroyed and the old Columbia and Princeton badly damaged by a fire which swept the yard of the Camden Shipbuilding Company at the head of Fifth Street, Camden, on October 17, 1923.

   

The rear driveway to the Pennsylvania Ferry Terminal, to reduce traffic congestion, was started in November of 1923. 

   

The property of the Second Presbyterian Church, at Fourth and Benson Streets, was purchased November 2, 1923 by the Board of Education, to be used as an annex to the central school.

Second Presbyterian Church

Fourth & Benson Streets

 

   

Victory Trust Company organized November of 1923. It took over the private banking business of Antonio Di Paolo, who became the first President of the bank. 

   

 Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE