THE YEAR 1921

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The first Charity Ball for the benefit of Cooper Hospital was given in the Third Regiment Armory in January of 1921. This ball has been an annual event ever since and is managed by the Womanís Auxiliary of the Hospital, under the leadership of Mrs. Harvey N. Scheirer.

With the purpose of establishing bus lines to operate to all points in the city and to many suburban sections, the West Jersey Transportation Company filed articles of incorporation with the County Clerk on February 21, 1921.

A cathedral bell made of copper, standing four feet high and weighing a ton, was given by Peter C. Verga to the Church of the Immaculate Conception in March of 1921.

Thomas W. McCowan, for forty-seven years assistant paying teller of the Camden Safe Deposit and Trust Company, died on March 15, 1921 at the age of 76 years.

   

An experiment with the one-man trolley car was made on the Kaighn Avenue line of the Public Service Railway Company on February 20, 1921.

   

The Salvation Army building on Fifth Street below Market, was dedicated on March 20, 1921.

   

Bellevue Hospital, occupying the former home of the late U.S. Senator William Joyce Sewell, at Fifth and Linden Streets, was opened on March 1, 1921 by Dr. J. Lynn Mahaffey and Dr. E.R. Schall, as a private hospital.

   

The South Camden Trust Company was opened for business on April 2, 1921. Judge Ralph W.E. Donges was the first president. The building was designed by architect Joseph Hettel.

The
South Camden Trust Building

August 2, 2003

Click on image to Enlarge

 

 

   

During three days, including the Fourth of July holidays, more than 38,000 automobiles were carried by the ferries of the Pennsylvania and the Reading Railroads, and more than 20,000 crossed the Market Street ferry alone.

   

The bodies of six Camden County soldiers arrived from France on July 21, 1921 and were buried with military honors.

   

The first actual construction work on the Camden side of the Delaware River bridge started July 24, 1921.

   

The Wednesday closing period, during July and August, was started by Camdenís merchants in July of 1921.

   

The wholesale grocery firm of George R. Danenhower & Son, in South Camden, which was established in 1866, retired from business in September of 1921. 

   

The cornerstone of the East End Trust Company was laid on September 24, 1921.

   

Camdenís Municipal Pier was formally accepted by the city on November 10, 1921. The cost of the pier was $360,000. 

   

A disastrous fire on December 14, 1921 destroyed the Toone & Hollinshed Department Store, wrecked the Sargal Shoe Store and damaged five other business houses, entailing a loss of $200,000.

   

The government auction sale of 1578 buildings at Fairview, ending on December 14, 1921 amounted to $3,882,200.

  

On December 21, 1921 Eldridge R. Johnson, President of the Victor Talker Machine Company, donated a fund of $45,500 to the city, the income to be used for the upkeep of Johnson Park.

   

 Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE