THE YEAR 1920

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

Monsignor B.J. Mulligan, pastor of the Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception for twenty-three years, died on January 4, 1920.

The Sons of Italy dedicated their new home at Fourth and Spruce Streets January 18, 1920.

Seventy-five representatives of the Pan-American Congress visited the New York Shipyards on a tour of inspection January 26, 1920.

The grain elevator and warehouse of Sitley and Son, Inc., was destroyed by a fire February 11, 1920.

   

The Camden Real Estate Board started a movement in February of 1920 to have a modern hotel built in Camden.

   

Preliminary work was started during the week of February 22, 1920 on Camdenís waterway terminal at the Spruce Street Wharf.

   

The Victor Talking Machine Company bought the American Stores warehouse at Front and Walnut Streets on March 1, 1920.

   

The ferryboat Pennsylvania, out of service for sometime, sank in the dock March 11, 1920.

   

Dedication exercises of the Young Menís Hebrew Association were held on March 28, 1920..

   

Reverend William J. Fitzgerald, the new pastor of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, was received by his parishioners at a reception March 18, 1920.

   

Joshua E. Borton, president of the Security Trust Company, was elected State Director of Railroads at a joint session of the legislature on March 23, 1920, to succeed Joseph Kaighn.

   

The Land Title Guaranty Company of New Jersey, filed articles of incorporation with the County Clerk March 24, 1920.

   

City Council on May 27, 1920 voted to change the name of Cooper Park to Johnson Park, in honor of Eldridge R. Johnson, President of the Victor Talking Machine Company. 

   

Colonel Harry C. Kramer, on June 23, 1920, filed articles of incorporation for the Camden Club.

   

A new battery of heavy artillery was organized in the Armory on Wright Avenue June 28 of 1920, to be known as Battery B, 1st battalion, Heavy Field Artillery, National Guard of New Jersey. 

   

The East End Trust Company opened for business on July 1, 1920 in temporary quarters at 27th and Cramer Streets. Dr. C.F. Hadley was the first president.

   

Five hundred ex-soldiers from Camden and vicinity in the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad, received medals at the P.R.R. YMCA July 10, 1920, from the Company, in recognition of their services for the country during the World War.

  

The Smith-Austermuhl Company began business in the new building at Fifth and Market streets on October 11, 1920. The partners in the firm were Andrew B.F. Smith and Charles W. Austermuhl.

 

 Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE