THE YEAR 1915

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

The Columbus Monument in Forest Hill Park, presented to the city by the Italian-Americans of Camden, was unveiled on October 12, 1915

Mr. Eldridge R. Johnson in the early part of December 1915 announced that he stood ready to erect a large library building in Cooper park, to cost not less than $130,000, provided his own architects be permitted to design and supervise the erection of the same and the old structure be demolished or removed. The offer was accepted and the beautiful building which stands in the park is the result of Mr. Johnsonís public-spirited generosity. The building has been known since the 1970s as the Walt Whitman Poetry Center

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE