THE YEAR 1912

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

About 7:00 PM on April 2, 1912 a tornado, which in those times was commonly called a cyclone, visited the northern section of Camden, tearing roofs off of houses, uprooting trees, and injuring a number of people. The wind storm was followed by a deluge of rain. The area affected reached from Pearl Street to State Street and from the Delaware River to the Cooper River. 

Vine Street West of 5th, North Side
after tornado of April 2, 1912

The Visiting Nurse Society was incorporated on May 17, 1912

On May 23, 1912, President William Howard Taft addressed a meeting in the Armory on Haddon Avenue. This was the first time a President of the United States had spoken at a public meeting in Camden. On the following day former President Theodore Roosevelt delivered an address in the same building to a larger audience

The cornerstone of the new Masonic Temple on 4th Street, between Market and Arch Streets, was laid on June 22, 1912. The building was opened in September of 1913.

            The following gives in brief the data concerning the formation of the various Masonic Lodges in Camden:

             On December 26, 1828 the City Council agreed to rent the third story of City Hall (then called the Court House) to Camden Lodge No. 45, F. & A.M., for a period of four years at the annual rental of $20.00 a year. The lodge had been chartered on March 13, 1821, and a t first held its meetings in the Camden Academy. From 1839 to 1842 the lodge met at Vauxhall Gardens, located at the southwest corner of 4th and Market Streets After the latter date the lodge ceased to work owing to lack of interest on the part of its members, but was revived in 1850, as Lodge No. 15.

           Other Masonic Lodges were organized in Camden, in later years, as indicated below

Lodge

Date Constituted

Corinthian Lodge

1868

Corinthian Lodge changed its name to Ionic Lodge No. 94

February 23, 1869

Trimble Lodge, No. 117

January 19, 1871

Mozart Lodge, No. 121

March 17, 1871

Universal Lodge, No. 216

June 7, 1920

Parkside Lodge, No.217

June 4, 1920

Mizpah Lodge No. 245

May 16, 1923

Henry S. Haines Lodge, No. 253

May 20, 1925

            Of the higher Masonic bodies, the following groups should be noted: 

Lodge

Date
Constituted

Silvan Chapter, R.A.M., No. 19

October 8, 1867

Cyrene Commandery, Knight Templar

October 16, 1867

Siloam Chapter, No. 19, R.A.M

October 8, 1867

            
            
The first Scottish Rites body was organized in 1870.
 

The Rotary Club was organized in Camden in December of 1912. 

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE