THE YEAR 1911

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

California Row”, the name given to a row of frame buildings which stood on the south side of Federal Street east of 11th Street, were demolished in May and June of 1911 to make room for sixteen brick houses. These original buildings were constructed in parts by William Carman at his sawmill on Front Street near Cooper, to be sent to California during the gold rush of the 1849. For some reason the houses were not shipped West, but were erected in Camden in 1849

The name of Cooper Creek was changed to Cooper River by an act of the State Legislature, passed on March 28, 1911

The pier at the foot of Cooper Street was opened for public use on June 24, 1911

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE