THE YEAR 1909

SPAN OF A CENTURY
1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA COLLECTED BY
CHARLES S. BOYER

PRESIDENT CAMDEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PUBLISHED BY
CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE
OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND NOTES BY PHILLIP COHEN IN 2003

An effort was being made in January 1909 by the Anti-Tuberculosis League to raise a fund with which to pay a trained nurse, who would make daily visits to persons suffering with the disease and give them appropriate treatment. 

The hotel at the corner of Delaware Avenue and Market Street, which had been known for many years as the West Jersey Hotel, passed to the management of William Wassman the early part of January 1909 and the names was changed to the Camden Hotel

By resolution the Water Committee of City Council on February 10, 1909 decided to enter into a supplemental contract with Colonel George Pfeiffer to put in 15 more artesian wells at a cost of $8,150 on the Hollinshed tract, near Delair Bridge. The new wells would produce an additional supply of from three to four million gallons of water for Camden. 

On March 1, 1909 the new Park Boulevard was formally opened to the public

Entrance to Forest Hill Park and Boulevard, Camden NJ

 

The steamer Robert Fulton, for service on the Hudson River Day Line, was launched at the yard of the New York Shipbuilding Company on March 20, 1909. Of the boats in the Day Line fleet, the Robert Fulton was used on the Poughkeepsie and Kingston runs to New York and for charter service.

 

Work was commenced on May 6, 1909 for the placing underground of the Bell Telephone wires out Mickle Street. Similar work was also being done on Haddon Avenue and in other parts of the city

A dangerous crossing was abolished when the elevated tracks on the Atlantic City Division of the West Jersey & Seashore Railroad were completed at Haddon Avenue and Line Street, early in June 1909. 

Mayor Charles Ellis appointed the first Playground Commission on April 29, 1909

Under the directions of the Playgrounds’ Association, five playgrounds for children were opened in Camden on July 19, 1909. 

During the Fourth of July celebration at Reservoir Park an old cannon which had been loaded burst, killing a woman and her six weeks’ old baby and injuring three others

In order to have better control over the speed of automobiles and all other vehicles, two motorcycles were added to the equipment of the police department in July of 1909. 

Camden
Motorcycle
Officers

Click on
Image to Enlarge

 

The gymnasium at the Pennsylvania Railroad Y.M.C.A. was opened on October 25, 1909

Tatem Parsons, the oldest locomotive engineer in the State, died at his home in Camden on November 4, 1909, at the advanced age of 90 years. He was the original engineer to run the “John Bull”, the famous old engine used first on the Camden & Amboy Railroad

Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE